Bore holes

ChrisRic

Hi

I'm new to this site so any help would be appreciated most likely for several problems I have. We moved to Dorset from Kent about four months ago and have been confronted with a 50 meter bore hole. Sounded good when we made the offer on the house. Who wouldn't want unlimited water for free? It IS good but its  costing more than we thought to change filters, soften the water to remove lime scale etc. So first off, after a severe rain storm we had here a few nights ago I was standing near the bore hole cover and heard the sound of rushing water. On closder examination I saw water gurgling/ bubbling from the seal in the cover. Its has been dry for a few days now and the water gurgling/rushing sound has stopped. Should I be worried about this? Is this just just what it is? Excessive rain water?

Sounds like water was rising in the bore hole pushing air out at the top, this would cause bubbles if the area was wet. Nothing to worry about but water entering a well quickly does stir up sediment that can block filters prematurely 

2 hours ago, ChrisRic said:

more than we thought to change filters

Aren't you using a proper backwash filter then small 10 and 5 micron filters after? Our well when it first started up to the first year point, I had to change the 10 and 5 micron filters every 3 months, now it's nearer once a year.

Can groundwater get into your borehole? A neighbour has a borehole that can get flooded in heavy downpours as the water runs off the lawn into the headworks chamber flooding it and then into his borehole. This contaminates the water and it means regular filter changes. I had a similar concern so mine is above ground. The downside is you can see this big block chamber but in time I’ll sort that. We have a 50 micron filter at the incoming side of plant room and a 5 micron filter just before the UV lamp. Ours has just been commissioned in the last few weeks and the water is surprisingly clear. 

Gratitude to all. I lifted the manhol cover. It is not a raised one as it was originally dug in the middle of the drive (before we bought the house). THe shaft is bone dry and the metal 'tube' through which the pump can be extracted is sound and waterproof. Further inspection reveals that the surface water is running through loose gravel on the drive and collecting at one edge of the manhole cover which had not been placed correctly allowing a few bits of said gravel to prevent the lid from sealing onto the rubber 'washer'. That has now been cleared. the water still 'rushes' when the rain is heavy, but I am sure now that the bore hole is completely dry. I'll keep you posted!

CHris

• Like 1