draft/wind proofing rotten window frames…

Chris HB

Eventually, I will be replacing the rotten single-glazed windows in my Small Mission Hall in the Outer Hebrides. However, until I get planning permission/warrants etc. sorted, they are what I have to live with.

To make it slightly more windproof when the breeze gets over 60mph 🤣, I want to try and seal some of the gaps around the frames and the solid stone walls. Is some form of expanding foam the way to go, or are there other options I should consider?

Am I right in thinking expanding foam is not that eco-friendly? Are there options on that front without having to spend a small fortune on what will ultimately be a temporary disposable fix…

16 minutes ago, Gone West said:

Burnt sand mastic is the traditional material for sealing around window and door frames into stonework.

Thanks, every day is a school day! This might more be suitable for a finishing job, but I’m looking at just a holding job at this stage as the windows will be getting taken out in (hopefully) the not-too-distant future…

14 minutes ago, Crofter said:

I would just foam them, think of all the energy you'll be saving!

By the way whereabouts are you located? I lived on Lewis for about eight years so I know it fairly well.

Up at the top near Port of Ness

Just now, Crofter said:

Yep it's pretty windy up there!

At least you have Nessglaze on hand to fix you up with new windows 🙂

Exactly, they seem to have a very good reputation from those I have spoken to. They are built to deal with the local environmental extremes!

• Like 1