Shouldn't the roofers have top coated the glass fibre roof by now?

DaveAF

Hi.

My neighbour had a flat foof put on his extension in early September 2023.

He loves it but doesn't know much about glass fibre.

The builders put 1 layer of glass fibre matting on it 4 weeks ago but haven't topcoated it.

It's too late to get a proper bond after 4 weeks surely? 

Why would anyone wait so long to topcoat? 

Just wondering. 

20231019_083301.jpg

20231019_083324.jpg

Edited by DaveAF

9 hours ago, DaveAF said:

1 layer of glass fibre matting on

FFS

Just as well they have not put the top coat on.  1 layer is bugger all and will quite possibly cause problems in the not too distant future.

If they use the right kind of resins, adding extra layers and a top coats onto fully cured substrate is not a problem.

I will say that it does look a reasonable layup for 1 layer, nice and resin rich, which is a good thing.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

FFS

Just as well they have not put the top coat on.  1 layer is bugger all and will quite possibly cause problems in the not too distant future.

If they use the right kind of resins, adding extra layers and a top coats onto fully cured substrate is not a problem.

I will say that it does look a reasonable layup for 1 layer, nice and resin rich, which is a good thing.

??

Any kit I've ever used has been a specific one layer chopped strand kit. I didn't know multi layer was a thing.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

FFS

Oddly enough after they repaired a minor leak yesterday morning they finally topcoated the roof. No extra layers of matting though, just a paint over with the topcoat. 

1 hour ago, Conor said:

I didn't know multi layer was a thing.

2 layers of 450g/m2 CSM would be normal, I would always recommend 3 layers.

As a general rule, 1 layer of 450g/m2 matt is 1 mm thick and will take 900g of polyester resin.  If going onto a very absorbent substrate like OSB, then the first layer will take more resin.

Topcoat is around 350g/m2.  This can vary quite a lot depending on the final usage i.e. aviation and walkways are treated very differently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1