Benefits of pre planning

Pendicle

Our architect is pushing to go for full planning application. We want to demolish an uninhabitable single skin, water damaged house and replace on same footprint a little higher. As we are on a slope the houses next to us are at different heights so don’t think this will be an issue and planning department were positive when first approached about a self build. We would like to put a garage in front of principle elevation but to the far east of the plot which could be rejected, so I had envisaged going to pre planning first to establish if it was worth taking this layout to full planning permission.
We have been going around and around trying to resolve the garage issue it’s a difficult sloped/made up ground/restricted site with TPOs on trees to the south front garden. Natural place for garage is to the west of plot but this would block best views from house to wooded area next door and reduce light in the house.
If we take the current design to full planning permission and they reject garage position will they reject the whole design or could they say no to garage yes to house.
We are currently paying full council tax and we understand we need to demolish house before February or we will have to wait till next October. 

If the planners don't like your proposal they will often contact you and suggest an amendment to the plans so you could move the garage if it was an issue.

It may be worth showing what you could build under PD, as this could include additional outbuildings and an extra storey.  In reality you are doing the right thing by demolishing as you get a much better product.

Don't make the Council Tax a major factor in your decision making.  Seems odd that it can't be removed from the register for 8 months if you don't demolish before February.  I would question that.

• Like 1

Many thanks @Mr Punter

19 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

If the planners don't like your proposal they will often contact you and suggest an amendment to the plans so you could move the garage if it was an issue.

It may be worth showing what you could build under PD, as this could include additional outbuildings and an extra storey.  In reality you are doing the right thing by demolishing as you get a much better product.

Don't make the Council Tax a major factor in your decision making.  Seems odd that it can't be removed from the register for 8 months if you don't demolish before February.  I would question that.

The previous owner run down the 8 month period before selling so will be paying till demolition. As the garage will be in the front garden it will still require planning permission although we plan on green wall/roof and new hedge so it will not be seen. Our architects view is to cut down a lime tree older than me with TPO, as this will give us better access to position garage on west side which will still give us a view. I don’t feel comfortable removing trees for cars although PV is going to be an issue with this tree. HID (him in doors) thinks we should forget about a garage, but I have a vintage car that I will then need to loose. 

>>> If we take the current design to full planning permission and they reject garage position will they reject the whole design or could they say no to garage yes to house.

Depends on how good an LPA they are. Most LPAs would 'negotiate' with you over the garage position if they thought the overall proposition was good. You might check the government stats for LPAs to see where they fall in the league tables - which may give an indication on whether they're in crisis mode or not.

I'm surprised that your architect has already given you their opinion on this point though. Press them?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

>>> If we take the current design to full planning permission and they reject garage position will they reject the whole design or could they say no to garage yes to house.

Depends on how good an LPA they are. Most LPAs would 'negotiate' with you over the garage position if they thought the overall proposition was good. You might check the government stats for LPAs to see where they fall in the league tables - which may give an indication on whether they're in crisis mode or not.

I'm surprised that your architect has already given you their opinion on this point though. Press them?

Alan's right - some LPA's will discuss queries with you. Others are in such a state that they will take no amendments whatsoever and one is quite open that even simple domestic extensions will take 12 weeks to determine so feel free to go to appeal.... Personally I'd apply for the house with the LPA's amount of parking shown and then apply for the garage once the house is secured. Two applications I know but planning can be a bit like a chess game at times!

Again, pre-application discussions vary. Some LPA's are good, prompt and stand by their officer's opinions (assuming councillors do not get involved), others take forever and the advice they give is so thin you'd have been better just giving an application a shot. State of local government today I'm afraid.

• Thanks 1