Supply & Meter move: what about CU and sockets?

BotusBuild

Background: Supply and Smart Meter are booked in to be moved from temporary location to inside the house - hooray. Also in the temporary location are tails from the supply fuse to a CU which feeds 4 sockets. (Note: in attached diagram connections on the left hand side not accurate)

On the day WPD/NatGrid are moving the supply in the morning and E.On are booked in to move the smart meter in the late afternoon.

Does a qualified electrician have to move the tails, CU and Sockets which are all on their own board (separate from the supply, meter and supply fuse)?

Botusbuild - Electric.pdf

Edited by BotusBuild
Clarity of question

They will move the supply and their fuse in the morning, the meter man will connect the meter in the afternoon and then YOUR electrician will be expected to connect the meter to your consumer unit.  They may or may not provide an isolator switch but your electrician should know how to deal with it whatever they do.

Have him on standby for late that afternoon as I doubt you will be given a time for the meter man.

In law it has to be someone competent.  Are you?  do you know how to isolate it?  What if they don't fit an isolating switch on the output  of the meter?  What tests do you propose to confirm it is all correct and safe?

Correction to the diagram - the "Supply Fuse" is actually an isolating switch.

Yes, I am competent, but my certification is out of date (unnecessary cost for what I do now). Yes, I've just answered my own question, because it is notifiable work.

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up - New earth rod fitted by myself and tested by certified electrician - better impedance than the one currently in place (very pleasing result). Supply and meter moves this week, electrician allowing me to move the CU and tails, and sockets to new location.

• Like 1

RESULT!! Supply moved on Thursday morning, CU and sockets moved, and CU tied to new earthing rod (previously tested by electrician), then E.On contractor moved the supply, tested connections and decided he could connect the tails from the CU to the isolator.

We have power into the house. Time to start cabling I suppose 🙂 

• Like 1