Re: passivhaus design detail for timber frame with basement

Anyone have any leads on passivhaus design detail examples for timber frame with basement. I have the 'Passive House Details' book but it only has a few not-very-relevant examples and I've got another couple of 'passivhause' books which are no help. Anyone used:

Understanding Passivhaus: A Simple Guide to Passivhaus Detailing and Design £40

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Passivhaus-Simple-Detailing-Design/dp/1916334326/

and/or

Details for Passive Houses: New Buildings: A Catalogue of Ecologically Rated Constructions £80

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passivhaus-Bauteilkatalog-OEkologisch-Konstruktionen-Ecologically-Constructions/dp/3035616868

- I'm interested in basement / sole plate / wall detail atm. Ta, Alan

i have a timber frame and basement and achieved an airtightness score of 0.98ACH (i know i could've got better if i had more time but was happy with what we achieved so didn't bother).

i learnt everything i needed to know on this forum. 🙂

we put a Tony tray between the basement and ground floor (as well as between ground and first floor). a basement is inherently airtight anyway as it's concrete! apart from that it's standard airtightness detailing around windows and doors and penetrations etc. if i was doing it again i would opt for a cut roof rather than attic trusses as they were a real pain to detail with insulation, membrane and tape!

you might find a few gems in our blog but feel free to ask anything. there are a few others on here that have basements that i learnt from as well.

• Thanks 1

On 29/09/2023 at 17:55, Alan Ambrose said:

Thanks @Thorfun - I took the opportunity to read through all the way through your blog, which is interesting and informative.

Is this your basement cross-section? It wasn't in the blog, but I think I made a note from another thread.  It would be great with the annotations :)

image.png.f5901c694a3d2856165769294a0ca897.png

most of those annotations are to do with our structural engineering design so won't be pertinent to your build up as your SE calcs will be different.

• 2 months later...

Re: Details for Passive Houses - just got a battered copy at a discount. There are 39 pages of intro, about 200 pages of 'stack-ups' (see below) and 100 pages of reference material.

The main body looks like this. Not overly taken with the book at first sight, but maybe there's some nuggets in there somewhere...

IMG_7508.JPG