Possible changes to Planning

LSB

I've received this from my architect re possible changes.

Rural diversification can be both agricultural and non-agricultural and rewarding on many levels. There are many success stories from smaller to larger businesses, with DEFRA statistics suggesting that more than 60% of UK farms are now involved in some form of diversified activity.

As a rural planning and architectural consultancy, we have been involved in a great number of projects over the years, the majority of which have been delivered through the traditional planning routes.  The more recent introduction of permitted development rights has enabled further change, with much more hopefully being delivered in the future.  Of particular importance and relevance to our rural clients is the latest Government consultation which allows agricultural diversification and development on agricultural units. 

Key points of relevance in respect of the General Permitted Development Order 2015 are:

Part 3 Class Q allows for the conversion of agricultural buildings to residential dwellings. The proposed changes would include:

• Increasing the overall size limit to 1,000sqm (currently 465sqm for larger dwellings and up to 3 smaller dwellings each less than 100sqm in floorspace).
  • Increasing the maximum number of dwellings from 5 to 10.
  • Introducing a maximum dwelling size of either 100sqm or 150sqm, reduced from 465sqm.
  • Allowing for 4m rear extensions during the change of use.
  • Enabling Class Q to apply in Conservation Areas, AONBs, National Parks and The Broads.
  • Enabling Class Q to apply to buildings on agricultural units that may have not been used solely for agriculture.
  • Enabling Class Q to apply to former agricultural buildings no longer on an established agricultural unit.
  • Requiring existing access to the public highway.

Part 3 Class R allows for the change of use of agricultural buildings to flexible commercial uses. The proposed changes would include:

• Expanding the change of use to outdoor sports, recreation or fitness.
  • Enabling the change of use to mixed uses.
  • Increasing the size limit from 500sqm to 1,000sqm.

Part 6 Class A allows for, amongst other things, the erection of agricultural buildings. The proposed changes would include:

• Increasing the size limit from 1,000sqm to 1,500sqm.

Please note, the Government consultation for England closes on 25th September 2023, therefore we strongly encourage you to complete the Government Survey

• 1 month later...

Hi LSB, 

Does your architect have any kind of feel for how likely this would be?  Can the government do it before the next election?  

It could be life changing for me if the case, as I'm looking to build a family home on a derelict farm site within the SDNP

Surely army of nimbys within the National Parks and  AONBs will fight it tooth and nail, can the government simply change the rules by fiat?

Any reply very welcome

Simon

4 hours ago, sdmbot said:

Hi LSB, 

Does your architect have any kind of feel for how likely this would be?  Can the government do it before the next election?  

It could be life changing for me if the case, as I'm looking to build a family home on a derelict farm site within the SDNP

Surely army of nimbys within the National Parks and  AONBs will fight it tooth and nail, can the government simply change the rules by fiat?

Any reply very welcome

Simon

Still under discussion apparently, but unlikely to be implemented any time soon, unless it is going to win them the election, and in reality it doesn't affect enough people so don't hold your breath

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LSB said:

Still under discussion apparently, but unlikely to be implemented any time soon, unless it is going to win them the election, and in reality it doesn't affect enough people so don't hold your breath

Thank you for the reply. 

If you hear anything further please let us know.  Finger's crossed.

in the mean time I'm faced with having to pay £6.5 - 8k / sqm to purchase a property in the Brighton / Lewes area, which leads me to think the current planning / property system is broken.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sdmbot said:

in the mean time I'm faced with having to pay £6.5 - 8k / sqm to purchase a property in the Brighton / Lewes area, which leads me to think the current planning / property system is broken.

Thats an interesting thing to say. Tell us why you think it's broken - as opposed to simply expensive ?

On 10/11/2023 at 07:43, mr rusty said:

No big family houses?

I think you’re right, would appear to be encouraging more volume of modest rural home to be created to be built as opposed to vast dwellings for the wealthy.  Hard not to agree with that.

• Like 1