Worrying crack

Flybywyre

A gap appeared on the roof of my garage last year and seems to have gotten bigger. I am concerned that the whole roof might come cascading down given time or alternatively the wind may get under there and bring it all down.

Can anyone recommend a filer that will bond it all together?
Thank you in advance. 

IMG_20230919_150147.jpg

IMG_20230919_143709.jpg

That looks like a problem! Mortar might do a temporary fix but if its getting wider I would be worried that it will just open up again you need to find out what is causing this growing gap and fix that. Have you a picture of the whole wall down as far as the eaves so we can see what it looks like in a slightly bigger context.

Can you pop up a ladder and show us the top view please. 

Better still, pop into the roof space and take a photo (flash?) from below. A view of the guttering in that corner would help also - i.e. has the roof slipped far enough to nudge the gutter ? The facia board might have moved ....

I know it's raining at the moment, so the sooner you can show us those photos, the sooner we can help.

PS, just a thought - have you cut back any ivy this year ?  Left to its own devices, it's powerful stuff  .....

Edited by ToughButterCup

Can I check what I appear to be seeing? I seem to see a split straight across a slate (slate?), which is mighty unusual. I also seem to see a lap pattern which is very unlike the one I laid last year. Yes, we need 'top pictures'. The crack looks quite uniform, suggesting (?? - we need pics!) that it might run all the way across - ???

Would strongly recommend that you do not 'gob it up'. Find the real problem and fix that. Look fwd to seeing the pics - I am intrigued!

• Like 2

Thank you all very much for your replies and yes, I have cut back some Ivy which was on the tiles. Unable to get a full roof picture due to bushes in the park at the rear of garage. A visual inspection from the park indicates that everything appears to be symetrical. I have taken some pics of the eaves and the last tile does not seem to be any lower to the guttering than the normal on the front side of the garage, which I thought a bit strange. As you can see from the pics there are other cracks, which I had not noticed until I moved some bushes to take the pictures.   

IMG_20230920_094905.jpg

+1 to @bassanclan. OK, having seen @Flybywyre's latest pics my presumption 

("Can I check what I appear to be seeing? I seem to see a split straight across a slate (slate?), which is mighty unusual.") was wrong. They are obviously concrete tiles (with a different lap pattern) of some sorts. Utterly intrigued by that horizontal gap... 

Next time you hear a drone flying in the park ask them to take your phone camera up for a spin!