Hello, wish I’d found this sooner

Ecthelion

Nice to meet you all. I built my house 7 years ago. Found a 3 acre plot with detailed planning on it and made a few internal layout changes. We then contracted the sellers, who happened to build houses, to do the build. 

it went fairly smoothly and have never regretted it. I have tried to encourage so many people to self build but they are just daunted. 

this year we have kicked it on a level. We’ve just finished finally building the garage. We made do with a shed for 7 years as we spent the money on the build, adding things like underfloor heating, wood burner, oak fittings etc. 

I also changed the oil boiler this year for an ASHP. Got at £9k gov grant and it’s been great. On the garage we added a 5.46kW solar array and a 10KW battery. Didn’t get much out of it this weekend but we’ve hardly spent a penny all summer. 

we are allowed one more building on the property for certain. A lot of people round here have those green steel barns but now I’m looking for inspiration for something that’s more multi-purpose/ convertible so will probably be checking out the garage/workshop pages quite a bit. Will also enjoy looking at other new builds as they go. 

we have a family plot in the highlands as well, might need to look at doing that in the next couple of years.

IMG_3511.thumb.jpeg.13c3e09d304aeb99c7a306e1cdd97abe.jpeg

IMG_3514.thumb.jpeg.48773b60fb682b829670f914b86b5def.jpeg

IMG_3515.thumb.jpeg.73ce89691f7cda1985a16c511d442d44.jpeg

Edited by Ecthelion
  • Like 5

Very nice garage, I am quite jealous. That’s on the list for when I get a plot near to me somewhere. Currently on the hunt and hoping to find something in Wales that is very good bang for the buck and to build the forever home in the background.

Been busy creating homes for others for a long time, my turn soon hopefully!

• Like 6

Thanks guys, the upstairs of the garage is my man-cave/home office. Wanted to do it for a while and probably took 2 years including planning. Planning didn’t take long but finding a builder did and then we had to wait before they could start. Then the dug the hole in December and everything froze up. It was really start of Feb before we got going. Finished mid August. Could have been finished faster but we weren’t in a rush and have a good relationship with the builders.

IMG_3519.thumb.jpeg.82d3f2e17b113a8b248f0dcba334f553.jpeg

IMG_3520.thumb.jpeg.9cf68d7148051aa0056e5e31b63f8863.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Needs a mention, did you have a good architect or were you heavily involved / did your own fundamental designs?

Local guy who is really more of an architectural technician. I know him a little bit and I just worked with him and specified what I wanted. He got it through planning and the structural engineer didn’t really add much other than reassurance. 

it was really Pasquill, the attic roof truss designers who made the difference. I was a bit worried from the final drawing that the room was going to be too long and narrow. I spoke to them and also about the possibility of storage in the walls. They designed it with the recesses which are great and otherwise the veluxes would have been odd and too low. But if they were higher you wouldn’t be able to see out of them. 

So one side has 5 recesses and works great. The other one side has 2 recesses but a big long section of storage in the eves, accessed by a side panel at one of the recesses.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2023 at 08:08, Nickfromwales said:

Needs a mention, did you have a good architect or were you heavily involved / did your own fundamental designs?

I want one too! The recesses are a stroke of genius. They really appear to open up the space to create a light box below the roof light. Can you post a couple more photos of the detail around them please?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/09/2023 at 08:24, mickeych said:

I want one too! The recesses are a stroke of genius. They really appear to open up the space to create a light box below the roof light. Can you post a couple more photos of the detail around them please?

Hello, glad to. I’m not at home this weekend so have tried going through old photos. These are taken at night but the day time effect is as you describe. 

IMG_3714.thumb.png.055b4e4c6faa7f7f161045daa4da5b18.png

• 5 months later...
Posted (edited)

Messed about for a few months in bits of snagging but finally bit the bullet and got the council out.

its been passed! Completion certificate on its way. 

cant believe its fully over. 

now to build one of those green metal barns people round here seem to get use of.

Edited by Ecthelion
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ecthelion said:

Messed about for a few months in bits of snagging but finally bit the bullet and got the council out.

its been passed! Completion certificate on its way. 

cant believe its fully over. 

now to build one of those green metal barns people round here seem to get use of.

Nice ! New project definitely required . I’ve got a few jobs on my endless build if you’re really bored .

• Haha 1