Timber cladding using battens

Tony K

Evening. 

I am considering fitting external timber cladding to look a bit like this.. 

image.png.5f2aac069dc7267673a1f9f6d23a8f16.png

I appreciate the benefit of something expensive like larch or cedar for the natural colour of the timber, but I want it black.

In light of the colour choice, my thinking is that I can buy something cheap like 25mm x 50mm pressure treated batten, paint it black, and away I go. 

Am I missing something?! 

Thanks 

did this at our old place, got a price for ceder and nearly fainted. bought a load of 4.8m treated 2x1 roofing batten. put it through our DeWalt portable planer and it came out lovely and smooth. stained with osmo and you cant really tell the difference. used a battery brad nailer for invisible fixings. whole lot cost less than £100, the osmo being the dearest part.

image.png.7747ac910790a263f7c2da5511f421d0.png

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

did this at our old place, got a price for ceder and nearly fainted. bought a load of 4.8m treated 2x1 roofing batten. put it through our DeWalt portable planer and it came out lovely and smooth. stained with osmo and you cant really tell the difference. used a battery brad nailer for invisible fixings. whole lot cost less than £100, the osmo being the dearest part.

image.png.7747ac910790a263f7c2da5511f421d0.png

Great stuff @Dave Jones, exactly the sort of thing I am hoping to do. I hadn't thought of putting the battens through a planer, good idea. 

I would have a good look around your local suppliers. The only roofing battens I was able to buy were either stained green from pressure treatment, or died blue. The latter were shocking quality, left dye running everywhere and split the moment a screw went near them.

My own cladding is larch from a local sawmill. Half the price of a builders' merchant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crofter said:

I would have a good look around your local suppliers. The only roofing battens I was able to buy were either stained green from pressure treatment, or died blue. The latter were shocking quality, left dye running everywhere and split the moment a screw went near them.

My own cladding is larch from a local sawmill. Half the price of a builders' merchant.

I was thinking of something like this @Crofter from champion timber... 

50x25mm pressure treated. 

IMG20230908094011.jpg

you can get already planed 2 x 1 from all the builders merchants but its nearly double the price of the bog standard stuff. a cheap belt sander will bring it up good just takes a while. 

other option is to use a sheet 8x4 sheet of mdf and cut slots nearly all the way through with a track saw.

Edited by Dave Jones
  • Thanks 1