Batten and plasterboard screwing distances (SIPs)

nickjdunkley

Hi all, 

I have slowly been building a SIPs (11mm OSB3) shed/office and have finally reached the stage of battening/plasterboarding the ceilings and walls, would really appreciate your input.

What I have to hand;

• Battens, 25mm x 25mm
  • Screws, 38mm phosphates for plasterboard and battens to ceiling
  • Sheradised Annular Ring Nails, 50 x 2.65mm for the battens on the walls

Questions, what distance;

1. To batten out walls and ceiling, is all 400mm centres OK?
  2. Between screws for the battens to ceiling (Ive read on here plasterboard screws are better than nails for OSB)?
  3. Between nails for the battens on the walls?
  4. To screw the plasterboard to the ceiling and walls (Ive read to keep them more than 12mm from the edges to avoid messing up the boards)?

Cheers, 

Nick

41 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

Battens should be screwed into the SIP panels and screws should protrude around 20mm beyond the face of the SIP so you'd be looking at around 60mm for screws.

Thank you! Would you use screws for ceiling and walls or can I screw the ceiling and nail the walls? Battening out the outside for cladding, it felt like I could hang a car off the nailed in battens (nailed every 8-10")

5 hours ago, nickjdunkley said:

Thank you! Would you use screws for ceiling and walls or can I screw the ceiling and nail the walls? Battening out the outside for cladding, it felt like I could hang a car off the nailed in battens (nailed every 8-10")

If you are attaching anything to the OSB face of a SIP panel it should be screwed. I built my house using SIP and I spoke to the technical bods at Kingspan to confirm what type of fixings to use and was told screws and they referred me to another company who had done all the testing for pull out strength etc. It was them who told use screws long enough to protrude beyond the osb face by 20mm. I'd add screws to your cladding battens if you haven't already clad....I'm sure the nails will do the job, it would just be belts and braces.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2023 at 20:06, LA3222 said:

If you are attaching anything to the OSB face of a SIP panel it should be screwed. I built my house using SIP and I spoke to the technical bods at Kingspan to confirm what type of fixings to use and was told screws and they referred me to another company who had done all the testing for pull out strength etc. It was them who told use screws long enough to protrude beyond the osb face by 20mm. I'd add screws to your cladding battens if you haven't already clad....I'm sure the nails will do the job, it would just be belts and braces.

Thank you!! Can you recall the screw spacing used ceiling/walls? Also on the plasterboard by any chance?

On 04/09/2023 at 13:18, nickjdunkley said:

Thank you!! Can you recall the screw spacing used ceiling/walls? Also on the plasterboard by any chance?

From British Gypsum

for partitions, screws are 300mm centres (200mm centres at external angles). For ceiling systems, the screws are located at 230mm centres within the field of the board and 150mm centres at board ends. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...