Does this quotation look reasonable to replace felt and battens? And do we need certification?

Some advice needed please.

Roof needs urgent work (when it rains we get puddles in the loft) and we’ve been given the below quote:

Strip all tiles and set aside.

strip old battens.

Strip old felt.

Install eves guard trays.

Install breathable membrane.

Install new battens.

Re-fit tiles changing any broken or damaged for new.

Install dry ridge system.

Install dry verge caps.

Leave site neat and tidy.  

The price for the above is as follows.

Scaffolding: £1,200

Materials: £2,000.

Labour: £4,000.

Skip: £250.

This gives you a total price of £7,450.

does this look reasonable? And would this count as hitting the 25% of roof changes that requires a building regulations compliance certificate?

we know that roofers in the ‘competent builders scheme’ can self-certify that work meets regs - should we only go with one of them? They are few and far between here and likely to be more expensive.

thanks in advance

Depends on the size of the roof. The quote looks reasonable and they have detailed what is needed. Even for a modest size house £4,000 labour is probably fair.

Just get the local authority to inspect and issue a building regs cert, it costs like £250 for something simple like this and it will keep the roofer honest if he knows the council are going to inspect.

Thanks for your response. Does felt and battens make up 25% of a roof though? We are a standard 3 bed semi.

i ask because from what I understand if we need building reg certification we need to meet ‘warm roof’ standards, ie additional insulation that can add to the total cost.

17 minutes ago, Roofing amateur said:

Thanks for your response. Does felt and battens make up 25% of a roof though? We are a standard 3 bed semi.

i ask because from what I understand if we need building reg certification we need to meet ‘warm roof’ standards, ie additional insulation that can add to the total cost.

You can engage Building Control for a few hundred pounds and he will sign it off when finished