8x40mm green wall plug - what size screw?

hi,

I'm trying to hang up two kitchen units, typical 900mm wall unit, standard height, standard depth (howdens).

I received the wall brackets with the unit, managed to measure everything properly, but they don't include fixings. I got some green wall plugs, marked 8x40, what size (and type) screws do I need to buy to make sure they fit and they're strong enough?

thanks!

8x40 means it’s 8mm drill and plug is 40mm long.

screws will be 5mm and length depends on what the wall build up is. If dot and dab plasterboard then plug and screw need burying into the block or brick behind. More info on wall build up will help

• Like 1

hi, thanks!

the wall is breeze block on the inside, covered with dry wall and plaster, so the plug goes right into the breeze block. what type of screw would I be looking for? does it have to be a masonry screw or does it not matter, given it goes in a plug anyway?

54 minutes ago, johnhenstock83 said:

hi, thanks!

the wall is breeze block on the inside, covered with dry wall and plaster, so the plug goes right into the breeze block. what type of screw would I be looking for? does it have to be a masonry screw or does it not matter, given it goes in a plug anyway?

Wood screws into plugs or in this case you could use concrete/thunderbolt screws but in breeze I prefer to plug and screw with the plug fully in the block

40mm screws won’t be long enough, you want 40mm min into the plug (I usually work on going through 10mm so 50mm in the plug plus depth of plasterboard etc (assuming plug is fully in the block behind)  plus bracket thickness

Edited by markc