Doors for door openings

eandg

Way back in the midst of time I must have read somewhere to guide our door opening sizes and went with 882x2030 for fitting 838x1981 doors. I'm now reading our openings should have been 904x2043 - just after I've ordered doors... I've not got liners etc yet, is this going to be doable or should I have an alternate size?

Most door liners are at least 22mm thick. For example Wickes are 27.5mm. I think you need to find 22mm liners then allow at least 5mm for packing to make the opening square and 2mm clearance around the door. So at least (22+5+2)*2= 58mm for the lining and clearances.

So the door would need to be cut to 882-58=824mm wide. 

Your doors are 838mm wide so you would need to be able to trim about 838-824=14mm total or 7mm off both edges of the door. The amount you are allowed to cut off varies from make to mak and depends on the construction of the door. Some say only 5mm, others 12mm or more.

I think I would check how much you are allowed to cut off the door each side. If it's enough make up a temporary liner from some 22mm timber and brace it up well so it's definitly square. Then try fitting it in all the openings. See how hard or easy it is before buying all the liners.

It's 3:30 am so check my figures! 

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1