Hi everyone

mickeyS

Been living in a self built (by someone else) house now for 25 years and its still standing despite its rather unconventional style. The time has come to replace the original cladding (doulas fir? stained so difficult for me to tell), and as there's only 100mm of insulation I'm going to add a little bit more. Interested to hear if anyone has done likewise, and what products they used. Was looking for something like hemp to keep the green credentials of the house in tact!

Looking forward to hearing any ideas. 

Do you know how the walls are built up inside to outside and type of roof you have. 

How is it clad in the Douglas Fir? 

It’s not easy adding insulation to an already built house without considering lots of other factors. 

Post up some pictures. It’s always easier to understand with a few pictures. 

Edited by Kelvin

If it is Douglas Fir i am surprised it is end of life after 25 years.  Is it just a case of it's a bit weathered and tatty looking now?  Pictures?

More information on complete build method before anyone can advise on more insulation.

Hi, thanks for the quick responses. The house is timber built with two blockwork end walls which have been harled. The structure seems to be (!) From inside.. plasterboard fixed to 4inch stud which has then been sheathed I think with ply. This has then got battens, not sure how thick, to which some OSB has been added. Then building paper and the cladding has been put straight onto the OSB. You may see from photos that the boards are coming off in places and paper is disintegrating. My thinking is to take it back to the ply, add new battens with some more insulation then paper batten and clad. For some reason I'm having trouble putting a photo on from my phone so I'll try another route!

That sounds like a standard 25 year old Scottish timber frame with just a 4" frame.  It sounds like the end walls will be a 50mm cavity then blockwork and harled end walls.  And the side walls are clad in timber instead of blockwork.

I would definitely be wanting to add more insulation, which potentially you could do with external wall insulation over the existing 4" frame, and then replacement cladding but it will make the overall wall thicker so the detail of how that joins the blockwork end walls will need some thinking about.

It might be the size of the photo as the forum has a size limit for pictures. 

Cladding needs an uninterrupted ventilation cavity behind it. Generally it would have a horizontal batten or a vertical batten and counter batten, depending on the cladding style, and the cladding fixed to that. If it’s been fixed direct to the OSB that will explain why it’s failed. Fitted properly and looked after, cladding should last for many decades.