Skim drying fast

jayc89

Had a room skimmed yesterday, guy finished around lunch time and it's drying incredibly fast, it's pretty much turned a light pink already, just 24 hours later. We've had a couple of windows open to encourage a through draught and it's been pretty warm here - approx. 25c. 

Is it drying so fast OK? And, if it's entirely light pink tomorrow, I think it will be, only a couple of corners still dark as I type this, can I crack on and mist coat it? 

our place is being skimmed at the moment and drying times have varied even within the same room! i think it depends on so many factors you can't really put a number on how long it takes.

i wouldn't mist coat until all of the walls are light pink though. i don't believe you want to mist coat if any dark areas are still showing.

26 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

our place is being skimmed at the moment and drying times have varied even within the same room! i think it depends on so many factors you can't really put a number on how long it takes.

i wouldn't mist coat until all of the walls are light pink though. i don't believe you want to mist coat if any dark areas are still showing.

That's my understanding too, but guidance online suggests anything between 4 and 14 days, not 48 hours. This is what ours currently looks like;

IMG_6724.jpg

this is 2 days later for the walls and dropped ceiling and 3 days later for the actual ceiling (which is now dry). I think by the end of tomorrow it'll all be dry. but we're a bit behind so won't be mist coating until Monday at the earliest so it'll have nearly a week to dry out first before we mist coat. 

image.jpeg.80438c860304a3e52b435aaa6d194668.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

this is 2 days later for the walls and dropped ceiling and 3 days later for the actual ceiling (which is now dry). I think by the end of tomorrow it'll all be dry. but we're a bit behind so won't be mist coating until Monday at the earliest so it'll have nearly a week to dry out first before we mist coat. 

image.jpeg.80438c860304a3e52b435aaa6d194668.jpeg

What are your plans for the low, wide window? We have something similar in our kitchen to run along the sink. Idea is to let plenty of light in, but avoid onlookers - that elevation looks out onto a pub. 

12 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

What are your plans for the low, wide window? We have something similar in our kitchen to run along the sink. Idea is to let plenty of light in, but avoid onlookers - that elevation looks out onto a pub. 

it's at bed height so that when we're in bed we can look out on to the woodlands next to us.