Self-build in Inverness – Hello everyone!

MoraM3

Hi everyone,

Myself and my partner purchased a plot in Inverness in August last year on which we are going to build our retirement home - we don’t have an immediate or fixed timeline but the plan is to have it complete for March 2026.  There was an existing 1950s bungalow on the property which has been demolished by the previous owner and were planning on building a 1 ½ / 1¾ storey SIPS construction 3 bedroom property following the fabric first approach.  As well as the usual triple glazing, MVHR etc. we hope to include a sizeable in-roof solar PV and battery storage.  To date we’ve only being doing initial research (Self build seminars and trip to the NSBRC) and have yet to engage an architect but will definitely be choosing one with experience of SIPS construction.  We’re first timers doing a full self-build but have previously done renovations, remodelling as well as a couple of extensions on our current property.

So far, I’ve enjoyed reading the various topics and discussions on the Buildhub forum from fellow self builders.  Likewise, we hope to pass on the lessons, and nuggets of information, from our own journey to come.

Thank you for having us.

Welcome. There are a lot of us on BH from around there.   Getting busy.

If thats your real name, hi. We tend to use pseudonyms on here, just in case, so you might want to start again before getting in deeper.

Sips is fine of course. But not the most common choice where timber is so plentiful.

1 hour ago, William MacBean said:

... We’re first timers doing a full self-build...

Welcome.

You can do a lot worse than waste time reading BH ; cock-ups galore, tears aplenty, sleepless nights common.

But the pay-back : it's in direct proportion to the amount of challenge.

Good luck.

Ian