house on the edge of a moor

moorman

moved into our property just over 2 years ago

West Yorkshire - Old stone house off the beaten track.

I think we are about done but things keep cropping up to improve or fix...

so far...(it's been a busy 2 years)

- converted the separate  barn into a garage/dry workshop/storage area

<this was done first because we didn't know all the other SH*! was going to come along>

- new double glazed windows throughout, increased loft insulation
    <needed doing, the old ones were leaky lettingrain and wind in and failing>

- replaced the septic tank to a water treatment plant
   <again found the old septic tank was failing and new rules mean it has to be a water treatment plant>

- installed MVHR (just upstairs for now)
 <the new windows stopped a lot of draughts and produced condensation and mould around the bedrooms - this has now completely disappeared and has reduced the dust - very pleased with it>

- Replaced calor gas (LPG) Tank with ASHP

this included upgrading the hot water gravity system with a new pressurised hot water system, bigger radiators and more radiators, more insulation/draft proofing.
<hated the ugly calor gas tank in the middle of the garden, and now we have proper hot water pressure and  the ASHP works really well>

- installed 16Kw of solar panels and a Tesla battery
<Ordered when I first moved in and took a year of faffing between the DNO and solar installer, but it's in and we are estimating it's taken us off grid for 45% of the year and on top of that, exporting enough to help half the bills in the winter (when the ASHP costs a lot to run)>

- added an extension (for new kitchen) - <most stress ever.>

the most stress ever, but worth it. We can now tell the difference between a modern insulated room (the kitchen) and an old retro fitted one (rest of the house), the extension can be heated from a old light bulb and stay warm all day. The rest of the house takes a bit longer to warm up.

- old kitchen converted into the utility room/ boot room/ downstairs loo

< hey - we like a downstairs loo and separate washing rooms (and drinks fridge) 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, moorman said:

I think we are about done

How is that possible without BH suggestions?

Brilliant to see your recordings. I'll be watching again.

Can we have more info on the works to the existing house? I'm in favour of preservation where possible, whereas it's often easier to build new.