Can you laying brick over concrete?

CloGanga

Hi everyone!

I hope I can get a good advice from pro/expert.😃 Can you laying brick over concrete? I hate weed growing  in the joints between bricks, so I was thinking if the area is covered with slight concrete that will prevent weeds to grow. Even if you fit a membrane the weed will appears and I hate that!

What is the best solution? Most of the paving contractor I meet they told me that the area will be fitted with membrane and then sand. How do you know the bricks is a good quality? They always avoid to build my driveway with Tarmac. 

Because the area is big ( front 220m2 and back -40m2) approximately 260m2 I don´t want to invest a lot of money for a bad decision or bad contractor job.

Any advice? no gravel please!

Thanks

You can lay bricks or pavers over concrete but weeds will still grow in the gaps if they are not filled correctly, most people just brush sand but this leaves gaps for dirt, water and seeds to get in. Very dry fine sand (kiln dried) and a wacker plate ensure the gaps are full and tightly packed

Sounds great in theory but groundworkers are the only trade I'd watch fairly intently in practice to see there's no shortcuts - in my experience they are generally far lazier, less competent and with far fewer brain cells than anyone else on a site. Boys doing driveways are generally seen as beneath anyone with a bit of skill at landscaping too. 

Most weeds don't really grow up through the gaps they grow down into them. It's near impossible to prevent that - I resort to weedkiller. 

The Paving Expert website is great for all things paving..

Choosing..

https://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks03

https://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks

Example specifications..

https://www.pavingexpert.com/specs01#specbpv

In my experience the two key things to get right are the preparation (compacting the ground, compacting hardcore in layers, falls, drainage etc) and edging/kerbs especially on driveways but also if ride on mowers will drive over edges. If you don't get that right no matter how good it looks initially it won't last.

Brick pavers are normally laid on sand over hardcore but if you change your mind to something else like Paving slabs they may be laid on mortar.. With some types of slab or on steps and capping stones it's essential to butter the back of them with a slurry primer not just lay them on mortar. If you don't they will come unstuck after a few years. I've used Ultrascape Pro Prime for this. Mortar should also be full coverage not dot and dab (With some types of stone the mortar pattern will show through as surface staining).

Pictures from the Paving Expert site..

cbp_x-section09.jpg.ef80c52b718ec9d0e7078fa24b2fd80c.jpg

xsection_01.gif.e6aeafd4ee51e8427a69c036d706c372.gif

Edited by Temp

2 hours ago, CloGanga said:

Because the area is big ( front 220m2 and back -40m2)

If paving upto the house it's essential the final surface is 150mm below your DPC and there is a fall away from the house.

In the front garden it's essential to ensure rainwater doesn't run onto the footpath/road because you need planning permission if rainwater isnt handled on site ( eg using a soakaway or draining onto flower beds etc). The fall away from the house might mean that a linear drain across the driveway to a soakaway is a good idea. They can also be used across garages etc. 

• 3 weeks later...