What are my options with this ceiling substructure?

We removed the light wooden slats ceiling in our hallway to reveal the substructure.

There is a beam A running the length of the hallway.

Battens B are secured adjacent to beam A.

Battens XY are then secured to the ends of battens B and a batten Z is secured to the middle of a batten B and run the length of the hallway.

Battens XY are then connected to the floorboards above the ceiling. To me this seems daft because if you try pulling up floorboards, you end up pulling on the battens and thus the ceiling.

Ideally we can remove the supports that are currently connected to the floorboards. Ideally we would plasterboard, however if a suitable substructure is not possible, we would be fine with something light such as panels.

20230730_081057.jpg

20230730_080954.jpg

20230730_080915.jpg

20230730_080850.jpg

20230730_080829.jpg

20230730_080820.jpg

5 minutes ago, twice round the block said:

Can you put joist hangers in on to the wall plate. Install joists with noggins and tack out with plaster board conventionally.

Leaves a large void above that could take a fair amount of insulation.

Ah that's an interesting solution. Someone else mentioned using metal framing which I'm not familiar with. I think whatever I do, I'm going to have to fix something in to the brickwork for support.

16 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Fix a 2x2 all around the perimeter and fill in to suit your plasterboard with 2x2 to catch joins, mid supports etc.

Would the joins etc be fixed to the bottom of the perimeter 2x2? E.g. the top level would be the 2x2 perimeter, and the level below would be the rest of the substructure that the plasterboard is fixed to?

On 31/07/2023 at 08:53, TonyT said:

Nailed at an angle.

I also found some mini joist hangers which might also work nicely, however this results in the permiter wood and the joists not being completely flush which I think isn't ideal for plasterboard:

41XV96oNJwL._AC_.jpg.7f96f4e923ed7cff9fc8fbc78e3561a3.jpg

Edited by vagrantly3893