Heat pump V Gas boiler

I am very grateful to be able to read all of the excellent content on this forum and have learned a lot. Still a lot more to learn of course.

One of the things that confuses me is the cost comparison between the MCS route to ASHP installation versus the much cheaper cost of a traditional gas boiler.

But, for a new build you also have to factor in the cost of a gas supply. In my case i am set on having a heat pump if i can get a reasonable quote. If a gas connection is anywhere close to what i have been quoted for an electrical supply @ > £6500 then the balance shifts, a lot.

I dont recall this being part of the conversation for some reason.

37 minutes ago, Post and beam said:

I am very grateful to be able to read all of the excellent content on this forum and have learned a lot. Still a lot more to learn of course.

One of the things that confuses me is the cost comparison between the MCS route to ASHP installation versus the much cheaper cost of a traditional gas boiler.

But, for a new build you also have to factor in the cost of a gas supply. In my case i am set on having a heat pump if i can get a reasonable quote. If a gas connection is anywhere close to what i have been quoted for an electrical supply @ > £6500 then the balance shifts, a lot.

I dont recall this being part of the conversation for some reason.

Thats a good point.  Personally Im mostly concerned about retrofits (a) because thats my personal situation and (b) because retrofit is the majority need case for Heat Pumps (1.4M per year required - being the number of gas boilers replaced each year, vs 200K new build if you are lucky).  But you are of course right in a new build the cost of the supply matters also.

James

On a cost basis alone everything needs to be taken into consideration.  Having installed gas boiler run for a year or so and then installed an ASHP, mostly for its cooling ability; but also it should be cheaper to run - winter will let me know that answer.

I only spent just over £2k to buy ASHP, all equipment and full install. If I known this in 2020 I would have gone straight to ASHP. ASHP can and should be a very simple install especially with UFH.

From recent quotes it doesn’t seem worth self install I’ve been quoted £7000 after grant for a 12kw Mitsubishi and large cylinder Fully installed I think there would be about 2k difference for a gas boiler and cylinder Then Conections Last time round it was under a thousand 

This time round it would probably about 4 k 

Im under no illusion that a heat pump will be more expensive to run As all three of the installers have stated this 

I’ve just had a year out of my self install second hand heat pump. I’ve used 3700kwh in a year for last year cooling heating and hot water for a family of 4. I averaged 22p/kwh on octopus go and it’s even cheaper now no octopus agile so it’s been fairly cheap to run for me. Every new build I’ve worked this year (I’m a plasterer) they are all been heat pump for the connection costs or a planning requirement as it’s on a point scoring system now. As the for the heat pumps they’ve been Samsung or grant aerona3