AC coupled battery charger inverter

JohnMo

1 hour ago, kommando said:

So a G99 Inverter without being islanded in a powercut would be putting out 240V

Interesting experience! Both the Victron I have and the GivEnergy @JohnMo is proposing have automatic anti-islanding which will disconnect in a power cut so are safe for the repair crew. I was talking about fitting an (optional) manual bypass in addtion so you can - when the grid is present - take it completely out of circuit in case you want to maintain the inverter or it has a fault which would otherwise leave you in the dark.

This is a sensible option if you have the whole house behind the inverter, as opposed to just one or two wired emergency circuits or as some people do a twin 13A socket for plugging a table lamp and the TV into. This last option with the really cheapo Chinese inverters is non-compliant because of the inadequate earthing arrangements.

i have a LuxPower AC inverter and Greenlinx batteries. seems to work well but is limited to 13A emergency backup in a power cut. but that should be enough to power some lights and a couple of sockets but, most importantly, the pumps in the basement sump!

3 hours ago, kommando said:

So a G99 Inverter without being islanded in a powercut

No sure it is, the inverter, battery, PV and mains all connect into the gateway.

The gateway manages it, think only it and the Tesla battery are certified to operate like that. Connects like this, 

Screenshot_20230807-151612.thumb.jpg.35bf750d97b7361888471573fe9b8160.jpg

AFIUI the anti-islanding is provided by the Gateway not the inverter itself.

N.b. since that is >16A (3.68kW) it does not qualify for install-and-notify so I think (rules vary) you will have to get your DNO's consent in advance, they will check it is on the ENA database which requires anti-islanding relay operates within ?5 secs of grid failure.

Also if they are like WPD were, they will not grant approval without de-rating the inverter to the 3.68kW - which is my case is not too bad since inverter has 50A passthrough which gives it a max o/p of 12kW when grid is up.

The SunSynk was only 32A passthrough which IMO is defo on the small side esp as I have electric cooker (or I would have gone for the cheaper 3kVA Victron). But sthg you should perhaps check for the Giv, I can only find mention of 25A cont, 32 pk so maybe those are the upper limits.

Incidentally I note it has an integral bypass at B below and also provision C for EV charger.

image.png.8afdb8ac84c39ddf4e2d851e40dbccec.png