Hi!

anarres

Hi everyone,

Over the last couple of years I've built a small (32sqm) outdoor office in my garden, and I'm nearing completion, although I have a number of issues to fix (will be posting these in the appropriate forums).

I'm also at the very start of a large renovation/extension of my 2 bed bungalow into a 1.5 storey 5 bed house (had pre-app advice and on the verge of submitting plans). I'm planning to have a single contractor up to ground level, then trades in after that where needed to get watertight. I can do a reasonable amount myself but I guess how much I do will be a question of available time. I also have to live here so some interesting logistics are involved in how I do this. I'm sure I will need a lot of advice on the way! I've learned a lot in the last decade or so but I'm definitely jack of all trades and master of none, so I know my limits and when I need help.

35 minutes ago, patp said:

We project managed our build. We made a point of asking each contractor (once we were happy with their work) to recommend trades people for the next stage. 

That is exactly how I did our build. Plus if the recommended person was too busy, I asked them if they could recommend someone. Had no issues at all.