where is best to cut the radiator pipe?

vagrantly3893

Sure but make sure there is a couple of inches sticking out, cut it with a proper pipe splice and cover it with tape to stop plaster etc getting in the pipe.

what about putting them in the wall or making a pipe box skirting to hide them?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Sure but make sure there is a couple of inches sticking out, cut it with a proper pipe splice and cover it with tape to stop plaster etc getting in the pipe.

what about putting them in the wall or making a pipe box skirting to hide them?

Ok I was going to cut with a multi tool, so I'll make sure it's cut with the pipe slice and covered.

8 minutes ago, RichardL said:

Hi,

Will they go back if you plaster behind them?

Have you considered skirting to discretely cover them and/or completely bury in the wall?

Yeah it's just a skim coat and then wallpaper. I don't really mind the pipes showing. I did consider buying new pipes so it looks better. e.g. copper instead of painted white. Not sure how expensive that is.

• Like 1

If the same rad is going on back on, cut behind the door (300-400mm away from the wall so you can get a pipe slice on, without straining the pipe, and the copper can be cleaned for re-soldering) and then cut again 8" away from the opposite corner, and then the same in the corner opposite that, to completely remove the pipework from the room, (but fully intact), so as to be reinstated.

If you are wanting clean pipework, and it'll very likely be painted as not many people want to see solder/copper at joints, just get a flapper disc in the grinder and clean the paint off, prime and paint the majority, and leave 6" away from where the pipes will be re-soldered and paint up later when in situ.

I'd then box these in afterwards with the skirting, as suggested, but that's down to personal preference.