Flood Risk Exception Test

jayc89

Flood Risk Zone 3, plot just outside the Adopted Policies map boundary. An exception test will almost certainly need to be included in the Flood Risk Assessment.

Has anyone had any success getting planning permission in such a scenario?

11 hours ago, CivilEng2020 said:

As long as you can meet the two conditions for the exception test, I don't see why not.

I suspect the sustainability condition can't be met when proposing just a single plot. I've found a Planning Consultant who is currently taking an application to appeal on the basis of insufficient self-build plots elsewhere in the sub-area, different LPA though, so I'm going to keep an eye on how well that goes. 

I have only managed this when the 5 year land supply was short of a lot of houses. Also the ground floor had to be garage.

Not sure where you are but if not now, I think in a few years we will be very short of housing so don’t give up hope. Have you had a look at the 5 year land doc?

Edited by Papillon

1 minute ago, Papillon said:

I have only managed this when the 5 year land supply was short of a lot of houses. Also the ground floor had to be garage.

Not sure where you are but if not now, I think in a few years we will be very short of housing so don’t give up hope. Have you had a look at the 5 year land doc?

There's been a mass of houses built in our sub-area recently with even more planned, pretty much wiping out a corridor of agricultural land. So unfortunately I don't think that's an option for us. Seems it only really benefits the big housing developers.  "Sorry Sir, you can't build your own house, but have you seen these lovely Barratt properties?"

15 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

There's been a mass of houses built in our sub-area recently with even more planned, pretty much wiping out a corridor of agricultural land. So unfortunately I don't think that's an option for us. Seems it only really benefits the big housing developers.  "Sorry Sir, you can't build your own house, but have you seen these lovely Barratt properties?"

It’s definitely worth checking. When they are short they are less strict with other issues, with people on all levels of build. 

Also, worth looking at other angles for why you should be allowed to build on your land. For example, disabilities, sustainability and how you can mitigate the flood issues. You’re doing the right thing using a planning consultant.

If you can’t build for now, get a barn or garage there so next time you try you can show it has buildings on.

• Like 1