Open eaves...or shoddy finish?

Hi all, new to the forum.

In the process of buying a new build house (on a small, sub-10 property development by a local builder). Whilst we are intending on doing some work ourselves at a later point (which this forum will be very useful for) - I thought I'd avail of the shared knowledge in regards to the roof/wall finish.

See pictures below attached. Does this look normal as a professional finish? There is no soffit, some of the bricks appear to be misplaced and the gap between the wall and roof appears covered only with a very wide metal mesh. 

Doesn't look right to me - but thought I'd ask those that may know more! Thanks in advance.

PXL_20230617_130841164.jpg

PXL_20230617_130929876.jpg

If it doesn't feel right it most probably isn't. If the stuff you see isn't looking correct, the bits you can't see will most likely be dire.

Just walk away and find the right property. Don't spend your hard earned money on something not right. Live is to short.

• Thanks 1

It's hard to tell in the images but it looks like there's open gaps/missing mesh too - you'll end up with birds/rodents/bats in there if it's not resolved. Agree with JohnMo though, the stuff you can't see will be 10x worse than this (which looks bodged to me).

That brickwork also looks a bit shoddy/rushed to my untrained eye. Lots of irregular mortar joints, some of which are huge.

• Thanks 1

Looks to me like it was originally meant to have fasia and soffit then they changed their mind to exposed rafter ends.

I would expect there to be some sarking boards or T&G on top of the rafters so you can't see the underside of the roofing felt.

I've seen a lot worse brickwork. Looks average to me.

download.jpeg.f218c686340a1060b54b63fad71dad2e.jpeg

• Thanks 1