Don't use slate and a halves? Or use them but with thicker slates?

Oxbow16

Hi all

I've got some repair work to do soon on a single storey roof that abuts a gable end wall. The leadwork was pretty shoddy before and needs replacing with proper lead soakers and flashing. As such, a couple or rows of slates will be coming off.

I've heard it's best to use slate and a halfs where possible, rather than thin width sections of slates. But upon enquiring it seems you don't really get slate and a halves in reclaimed Welsh slates. So that leaves me two options...

1. Forget about slate and a halves, use thinner width slates as needed, and carry on.

2. Use larger format but thicker slates. One rec yard has 30" x 20" slates which could be cut down to almost slate and a half (24" x 20"). The existing slates are 24"x 14". The trouble is that these slates are quite thick compared to the existing. I've never done and am no expert on roofing so am not sure whether the slates being thicker would cause more problems than I'm trying to solve?!

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Many thanks

500 x 250 are ok cut in half 

But you can’t always get around using slate and a half Weve just used 250 Mostly on valleys Not too bad considering we’ve used over 5000 600x300 slates 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply.  

On 12/06/2023 at 22:51, nod said:

500 x 250 are ok cut in half 

That's good to hear.  Mine are bigger than that too - 20x12 (500x300) at the back and 24x14 (600x350) at the front. 

I hope I can make it work because I've had no luck at all finding reclaimed  slate and a halfs.  I have found new ones at 500x450 (couldn't find anything bigger) but they come in at minimum £25 per slate!  

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may have mostly found what I need.  I can get some slate and a halfs for the back of the house where the slates are a bit smaller.  And I will try to cut the slates to roughly follow the contours of the wall.    

For the front, I have now measured up...  Using what I can get, in the worst case scenario the slate will stop an inch short, so leave an inch gap (maximum) between the side of the slate and the wall.  Is this acceptable or an absolute no no?  To help mitigate, I plan to use soakers with a 165mm width across the tops of the slates 

Many thanks

Sorry to be a pain, but wondered if anyone has any thoughts before I go ahead and get this done?  

The main question is - is it ok to have a one inch gap between the side of the slates and the abutment wall?  Soakers will have a width of 165mm.

Many thanks

Edited by Oxbow16

Hi, and many thanks for the replies.  

On 02/07/2023 at 16:45, Redbeard said:

I hope so; I did it on my extension roof abutting the main elev. No problems in 6 mths. I think the width of mine was nearer 125 than 165. 

Do you mean you also had 1" or so gaps between the slates and the abutting wall?  If so, was that for the same reason as me (old stone wall, stones protruding, and walls not straight)?

On 02/07/2023 at 17:32, Mr Punter said:

Yes, it is OK.

That's re-assuring to hear :)  

Cheers