Sunamp sizing

gregh

After looking at a lot of options for our DHW I thought I had settled on a simple direct UVC with a timer. However in practice it's looking like the space requirements for even a slim tank are going to mean less desirable compromises elsewhere (eg. shrinking a room, covering a window..).

So I'm reconsidering Sunamp as the small footprint would solve those issues.

I know there are mixed feelings on the forum about Sunamp and whether they are worth it, but for those that have one - how has the sizing worked out for you in practice? Did you over/under size at all?

Having spoken with a local supplier, I think we are sitting on the edge of the 210 or the 300. The latter is a bit of a premium both in terms of the unit itself and the install (it weighs a quarter of a tonne!), so if we can make the 210 work that would be my preference.

For us the Thermino 150 (~7kWh) seems to have worked out about perfect in terms of DHW availabilty and physical size.

(3 bedoom London home: 2 adults + 2 teens.)

I have just today turned off the gas combi entirely (as a test, for at least a week or so) and do not expect to hear any shrieks from unexpected cold showers.

Rgds

Damon

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DamonHD said:

For us the Thermino 150 (~7kWh) seems to have worked out about perfect in terms of DHW availabilty and physical size.

(3 bedoom London home: 2 adults + 2 teens.)

I have just today turned off the gas combi entirely (as a test, for at least a week or so) and do not expect to hear any shrieks from unexpected cold showers.

Rgds

Damon

Thanks Damon, very interesting that you are managing with an even smaller unit. Are you particularly sparing with showers etc?

We are two adults and one child (two in the near future). Larger house (5 bed) with occasional family houseguests.

Expected usage would go way up in a few years when we have a couple teenagers. Maybe I was mistaken!

3 hours ago, gregh said:

Thanks Damon, very interesting that you are managing with an even smaller unit. Are you particularly sparing with showers etc?

We are two adults and one child (two in the near future). Larger house (5 bed) with occasional family houseguests.

Expected usage would go way up in a few years when we have a couple teenagers. Maybe I was mistaken!

I think that we count as lowish water users.

The Thermino covers 1 x bath and 1 x shower comfortably.  (~4kWh and ~2kWh).

Write up on whole system in tedious detail! https://www.earth.org.uk/note-on-solar-DHW-for-16WW-UniQ-and-PV-diversion.html

Rgds

Damon

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gregh said:

Having spoken with a local supplier, I think we are sitting on the edge of the 210 or the 300. The latter is a bit of a premium both in terms of the unit itself and the install (it weighs a quarter of a tonne!), so if we can make the 210 work that would be my preference.

What is the heat source?