Indicative cost of this extension

Hi,  

I would like to ask if you could help me understand the approximate cost to make some "changes" to a property we saw and are considering: 

1: ground floor - tear down the conservatory, and extend the kitchen by 2.5 m. 

2: first floor - build on top of of the garage and part of the kitchen, to make the forth bedroom more spacious, and add a small ensuite.

Please see floorplan attached. 

We are considering this property, so this estimate is just to understand what we should offer. 

For 1, I know that one can spend £20K or £100K on a kitchen, so it would be useful to know an indication of the costs, net of the kitchen. And I can add that on top. 

Thanks!

floorplan.jpg

I’d be surprised if your project “adds up” financially - £120k plus - not to increase room numbers.

is an option to retain / refurb conservatory and open up kitchen / dining room wall.  Put a utility room at end of old kitchen make remaining area of kitchen a dining area, and using existing dining as new kitchen or something similar.

The proposal for building over garage sounds excessive expensive -v- return.  Would an option (certainly cheaper) be to split 2nd floor bedroom into two rooms,  and making small first floor bedroom a study or even another en-suite to the big bedroom.

all depends of course what you are looking for and how much you wish to spend.

new kitchen cost?   Circa 30k budget should give you a very decent kitchen fitted but you can go much cheaper than that depend on need and budget. I put in a £20-25k kitchen for about £7k because I did it myself.   if you allow 30k for kitchen just don’t expect hand built oak or whatever, but likewise not an ikea kitchen or similar.   Worktops can cost hundreds to thousands depending on what you want.  

Thanks for the useful answers.

I checked one of the applications to have a first floor side extension for a house nearby and found the following text:
"A side space of 1 metre shall be provided between the eastern elevation of the extension hereby permitted and the flank boundary of the property"

Does it mean that I would need to leave 1 m between the wall of the house next door and wall of the extension over the garage? I.e. not able to use the full width of 2.54m but rather only that minus a metre?

even if the garage is currently attached to the house next door?

15 minutes ago, EmmaSp said:

Thanks for the useful answers.

I checked one of the applications to have a first floor side extension for a house nearby and found the following text:
"A side space of 1 metre shall be provided between the eastern elevation of the extension hereby permitted and the flank boundary of the property"

Does it mean that I would need to leave 1 m between the wall of the house next door and wall of the extension over the garage? I.e. not able to use the full width of 2.54m but rather only that minus a metre?

even if the garage is currently attached to the house next door?

It sounds that way yes that they don’t want upper extensions closer than 1m,  understandably.  But of course every application is different.  If that is the case an upper extension 1.54m sounds far less viable.  Perhaps suggest you speak to planning dept if possible or even knock on door of that other house they might give you a steer if it was them who submitted it.   Sounds like extending at back is more viable for you.