How to progress with dodgy builder and building control

My son had a builder in last year to knock out a couple of walls and put steels in. All went apparently ok with Building control was apparently happy with it.

Role on 12 months, he is now getting on with more work with a new builder, replacing windows, putting in new patio doors together with replastering and rewiring for whole house.  Last weekend I helped gut the 1st floor bathroom which sits at the back of the house with the rear wall over the steel. Plaster was removed and as we took at a cast iron bath, we saw a whole section off the inner leaf brick wall move by 1 or 2cm, on closer inspection large section of the wall had sunk 1cm or more...

The new builder came in today, he saw the problem and after talking with my son contacted building control, it turns out, PIR and block pavers was used to fill the gap above the steel!, it was loose and could be moved about by hand, original builder had put a skim or mortar over the top to hide pavers and pir.

A Building Inspector came out and said, "I don't know  how this got by control", saying this and that is not right. But he was the original inspector!  Structural engineer is coming out take a look.

All trades are now  lined up to do work, current builder is happy to put things right but it will add an extra week or two, son doesn't really want to delay build, as it is just starting  However he will want to chase original builder and get compensation/refund for work, it wasn't a big job aorund £5k  

SO how does he progress? they are taking lots of pictures, should they stay with the same builder control (local authority)  or get private building inspector in? 

He is aware the original builder should be given the chance to put things right, but he doesn't trust him, why should he, he wants it done now, his new builders can. Should he approach original builder? ( they live in the same street)

I'm just looking for any advice to give him.

Thanks

For the 5k with the original contractor I'm not sure it will be financially worth pursuing.

Put it down to experience.

Stick with local authority building control now he has now smelt the coffee, and woken up.

It is what it is and the new builder will get the job back on track even if there is a slight delay.

• Like 1