Vacuum Insulated Panels - any recommendations in the UK

10 minutes ago, bmj1 said:

Good news mostly. We've got space for 140-150mm or so of PIR. We'll be okay here.

Happy days!

11 minutes ago, bmj1 said:

Any thoughts on the best way to build this up ? The staircase will be finished with hardwood treads and risers.

I.e. we could cast more concrete in a mesh and build it up that way, just wondering if there is a more sensible solution ?

Just go with the concrete as anything else will be noisy to walk up / down on. The builder will need to shutter each step, but also to affix (with a gas nailer most prob) something like Expamet LINK to ensure the concrete stays in situ. Priming with neat SBR will help too.

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Happy days!

Just go with the concrete as anything else will be noisy to walk up / down on. The builder will need to shutter each step, but also to affix (with a gas nailer most prob) something like Expamet LINK to ensure the concrete stays in situ. Priming with neat SBR will help too.

Yes! Big sigh of relief !

What about using sand/cement screed to build it up ?

Edited by bmj1

2 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Do you mean that the top or bottom are not set to suit the floor levels?

Both wrong? 

Due to this change of plan re ground floor insulation?

I mean that all the steps are not tall enough. Simply due to the previous builder not following the drawings.

We'll lose a little ceiling height on the first floor, but will still have 2470mm or so FFL to FCL, which I think is plenty for a bedroom floor.

So yes. You could prob make a reusable shutter, then do one at a time.

80mm is enough to make as concrete rather than screed.  You could make a stiff, dryish mix with some fibres and it will allow you to move swiftly on to the next step down.