Velux: Replace whole flashing kit or just replace weather strip...

We had the roof replaced, I went up to check it and noticed I could see under the tiles at the Velux, it looks like the original foam weatherstrip has disintegrated and as a result, although the roof has been made up properly, I can no see under the tiles and a strong wind could blow rain onto the membrane, it should all still be watertight but not correct.

So I confirmed with Velux that the weatherstrip was indeed the part missing and I need to order two lengths of this foam (tray not included). They come in 2.2m lengths, I need about 2.4m for the sides and 600mm for the top.

Flashing Weather strip

Total cost delivered will be about £35-40 depending on where I get it, a whole new flashing kit could be picked up today for £80. Might sound mad, but I am thinking of taking out the whole Velux and fitting a brand new flashing kit. Am I mad? 

Work involved would not be mad, undo the tiles left and right, push the top ones up, undo the top flashing sections and remove, undo the Velux screws, remove the unit, remove the flashing trays, make any tweaks to get the best seal, fit with new flashing kits and reverse of removal. Maybe hour of work, £80 total, and hopefully a fully weathertight brand new flashing kit in a brand new roof. I should have bought a new kit and insisted it was fitted at the time the roof was done, or done it myself when the roof was at membrane and batten stage.

I've never done a Velux so you may know more than me but.. I think there are several different flashing kits for different situations and types of tile so check you get the right one.

• Like 1

I’ve fitted two Velux this weekend 

Id put a full kit in The tabs on the components easily break 

Just a tip If you are between two rafters Make sure there is enough room You need to add 50 mill to a standard 600 Centre 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Temp said:

I've never done a Velux so you may know more than me but.. I think there are several different flashing kits for different situations and types of tile so check you get the right one.

Yes, there are, tile up to 14mm, 40mm, 120mm, slate, recessed. (Figures a off the top of my head).

Its an easy mornings work, less, but don't know if I am being OTT!

18 hours ago, nod said:

I’ve fitted two Velux this weekend 

Id put a full kit in The tabs on the components easily break 

Just a tip If you are between two rafters Make sure there is enough room You need to add 50 mill to a standard 600 Centre 

The existing one fits so I assume will be OK... I think I will fit a whole kit, I have checked the Velux code and although it is a 2001-2014 model, it will still fit the current EDT (I think) flashing kits. I have had another look today and think I will be OK for the summer, but I will schedule it in for early autumn for a full kit. I might even chase down a sale kit at some point.