Build up for block paving/resin

Selfbuildnewbie

Caught us a bit by surprise that this has made its way to the top of the decision list…

Groundworks for our house are starting shortly, and our contractor has suggested laying the sub base for our driveway and patio at the same time which sounds sensible to us! Top layer to be finished later our initial choice is block paving but we are researching resin.

Current driveway is mainly lawn with some block paving, and so he has suggested the following:

Excavate down 400mm.
150mm clean nougat recycled hardcore fill. 150mm 6F5 recycled hardcore with fines. Roller sub-base down to compact.

Leaving approx 100mm to allow for paving finish covering at later date.

Does this sound about right, any ideas if it would work for resin toon? Ground is clay. We got the impression he doesn’t usually do this stuff (though have great confidence in his house building skills) and there seems to be lots of mention of geotextile membrane on the internet?

Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by Selfbuildnewbie

I'm just about to have the final layers put on my patio. I've gone for resin, build up I've done as 100mm crushed concrete that went down on top of approx 500mm rough hardcore with clay below, then levelled with 70mm type 1. Company will come in and lay 50mm permeable tarmac followed by 20mm resin bound gravel. 

As the tarmac is the permeable kind it's fully SUDS compliant. 

One company tried to tell me they used permeable concrete, but I was bit wary about that as hadn't heard of it before. 

• Like 1