No seal at stove pipe to logburner collar

4 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

With a comprehensive list.

Make sure you have loads of photos.

I do have photos and screenshots of our messages.

I have again contacted Hetas and see what they say now. I'm sure they will insist that he is given yet another opportunity, but why would I want someone back in my home who is deceitful, untrustworthy, confrontational and not least, prepared to put my family at risk ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hunter7 said:

why would I want someone back

You have to be " reasonable".

So if he agrees to return and sort it that will include the "when" and "how".

It would be good to have somebody with you as support and as a witness. The fitter will be well aware and unlikely to be objectionable.

I have been nothing but reasonable. He has had the opportunity to rectify the issue, time and again.  It was a basic but dangerous omission to have made and even when he was alerted to it, he did nothing until Hetas told him to. Even then, he took as long as he could to contact me.  If Hetas want to send out another fitter, then ok, but this bloke should not be installing anything.

There is no suggestion that you haven't been reasonable.

So after your reasonable and final letter sent by recorded delivery ( you get to see the receiver signature online) you either get a response or don't.

The likelihood is a reluctant agreement to sort it, which is where my "have a friend there" applies.

Or you get legal. Small claims court, and an easy walkover for you. Some legal advice advisable but also reclaimable.

He has contacted me to tell me "we need to arrange a time to come back and fit the CO alarm" only because Hetas had told him to.

He was asking me to see if I refused, which I didn't, nor did I agree.

He then told me that if I refused, he would have to give me a notice that the stove was 'unsafe'. Ha ha!

I told him that his refusal to respond to my messages regarding the install was his  refusal to do anything about it, so I have contacted Hetas to see what we do now, given that he didn't get back to me within the 10 day period given to him by Hetas.

Small claims court is probably the only option.

OK keep up informed and good luck.

I would suggest a solicitor's letter is next. That will hopefully concentrate his mind and it will be very clear what happens next.

I predict he jumps and sorts it and you won't see court. But don't discount trumpian excuses as a first response as he seems to bully by default.

With a bit of prompting, Hetas have actually got in contact with me with a cut and pasted response that doesn't even address me by name. They want to know if this installer is allowed back to resolve any issues. (This was something that he had been given 10 days to contact me about, which has elapsed, so why are they still not actually taking action against him?)

I wrote a comprehensive reply including asking what they think he intends to do this time, seeing as he was more than happy to sign the install off as safe when it obviously was not?  

They don't appear to be very organised. When I contacted them to ask about next steps, they sent me the same complaint questionnaire as they did when I first contacted them. I don't think they are going to be much use.

Hetas are about as useful as a chocolate teapot. They agree that this installer is at fault, but they are hiding behind their 'processes' that say they can only help if the original installer is allowed to return.

They agree that they would not want him back if they were in my shoes, but are stickng to the rules. I am expected to pay another installer to fix it.

I have told them that as I have a valid certificate, I may continue to use the appliance as it is signed off by one of their trained members as 'safe'., so it must be.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Hunter7 said:

....and again and again. If this website is going to keep locking me out, then I'm done with it.

what do you mean locking you out..? 

drop me a PM if it is still causing issues later 

It says I've tried too many times to log in with the wrong password and to wait 14 minutes. I wait and it happens again and again. 

I've had to change my password a few times now, but its still the same.

By chance and changing the password each time, I have managed to log in only twice today now.

Even this time it said oops, something went wrong, then let me in.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited by Hunter7

• 2 weeks later...

Hetas have begrudgingly sent an inspector around....one look and he condemned the install on several points. Next trick is actually getting them to take action against the installer.

I was amazed to be told by the Hetas Lead Compliance Officer that an installer does not need to belong to any Competant Person Scheme or even have any qualifications at all, to work on solid fuel installations!  Wish I'd known that, would have saved a packet.

• Like 1