Alu-clad windows without shadow gaps for a whole house renovation

Flossy1234

Hi all, I have found this forum SO helpful as I'm a keen property renovator and we now have our biggest project to date – a split-level 1970s house which needs new windows & doors, new roof and some reconfiguration. I'm keen on slimline aluminium windows as we're going for a contemporary Sandi-style aesthetic, probably alu-clad with timber inside, but our builder is currently prepping for Velfac windows to be installed on another job, and the shadow gap clearly presents unnecessary problems with render and minimal tolerances (I've read other threads on here about the issues with Velfac and render). Rationel seems to have the same issues. Can anyone recommend another brand which fits more like a standard UPVC window and doesn't create problems before we've even started? We're on a tight budget and just can't justify something which presents additional complexity (and cost). I'm looking at Reynaers, but any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thank you. 

The Velfac / Rationel / IdealCombi family of composite windows all like a gap around the window of about 10mm which get filled with Compriband expanding tape.  If you are rendering, you need to get the render on before you measure and fit the windows.  Not too difficult.  This leaves a nice space inside for insulated plasterboard.

If you go for an all ali window the u-values can be pretty poor.

On 20/05/2023 at 18:16, Mr Punter said:

The Velfac / Rationel / IdealCombi family of composite windows all like a gap around the window of about 10mm which get filled with Compriband expanding tape.  If you are rendering, you need to get the render on before you measure and fit the windows.  Not too difficult.  This leaves a nice space inside for insulated plasterboard.

If you go for an all ali window the u-values can be pretty poor.

Thanks. We really like the Rationel windows but it's this gap, the expanding tape and having to complete the render before the windows are installed, which are all currently giving my builder a massive headache on his current job, and I've read threads about this issue elsewhere. We're keen to stick with all-clad but I would prefer to find a brand that has a simpler prep for installation. BTW I trust our builder and he's usually very accommodating and a great problem-solver, so his comments have alarmed me!  

On 20/05/2023 at 16:18, MikeSharp01 said:

You can usually specify the window's inner timber profile so it is just square. 

Just now, Flossy1234 said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how this helps in terms of the shadow gap, expanding tape and the issues I've mentioned. Am I missing something? I'm not a builder so struggling to understand all these issues in detail!

On 20/05/2023 at 18:51, Conor said:

Try internorm

Thank you Conor. I think Internorm have wider sightline and we've been led to believe that all their windows tilt and turn and open inwards - I've just looked at their brochure and I have to say it's not very clear...

I can't work out why the builder is so concerned about rendering before the windows go in.  Just bead up the openings and render, measure finished size, order windows, paint render, install windows.

A good benefit is that the windows will not get damaged by render or paint.