Full plans vs Building Notice

DevonKim

Hi All, 

I'm struggling a bit with how to manage my BC process.  I have submitted a full plans application, but was unaware of a couple of things that should have been submitted with it (my fault).  The reason that I submitted full plans rather than building notice is because the road that my property fronts onto has not yet been adopted (it will be in due course), so I assumed it classed as a private road.  

Firstly, can anyone advise about the "private road" issue? 

Secondly, if the "private road" thing is not an issue, can I withdraw the full plans application, which I am not ready to get approved, and resubmit as a Building Notice Application? 

and thirdly, do I have to wait until the full plans application is approved before I start groundworks?

I am desperate for this not to hold up my build.   

I think I would press on with the Application. Presumably the BCO has written back with a list of info he needs?

If none refer to the foundations you could ask him/her if it would be OK to dig the foundations while you prepare the other documents he has requested. He will want to inspect the bottom of the foundation trenches so you should add something like "..of course I would call you to inspect the trenches before they are filled".

Flowchart in here page 12 says it must be a full application if it fronts a private street..

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/901517/Manual_to_building_regs_-_July_2020.pdf

You can start work but at your own risk if your plans haven’t been approved but your application is valid. Just contact your local BC office and go through your concerns with them. We regularly inspect works that haven’t got plan approval but the applicant wants to start work. BC will inspect the foundation trenches to see that the ground is suitable and if there are any concerns they will ask you to get an engineer to inspect the ground before any concrete foundations are poured.