Protecting external oak /sapele

WWilts

Glazed gable, oak cover boards and oak fascia.

Q. How to protect vs water damage without sacrificing the natural appearance?

So far, front running option is Plastikote clear lacquer spray matt. But I know less than anyone else about this.

One option is just to let it weather to a nice silver colour - as long as there are no significant areas that receive regular water splash and remain constantly damp. You then end up with a nearly no-paint / no-maintenance finish.

If you look at Elizabethan houses you'll find that the old untreated oak has gone nearly black and crazy hard. That's the beauty of oak.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2023 at 17:02, Alan Ambrose said:

let it weather to a nice silver colour - as long as there are no significant areas that receive regular water splash and remain constantly damp

One end of the lean-to gable is sufficiently unprotected to receive direct rain on the sapele (dark hardwood) cill. Perceptible water stain already, within weeks.

Coverboards are oak, not sapele.

Edited by WWilts

If you want new external oak to be a nice honey colour and stay like that I recommend one coat of Danish Oil then several coats of Osmo UV Protection Oil. The Danish oil will make the Oak slightly less white and more honey colour over a few days. The Osmo keeps it that way. If you just use Osmo I find it can look a bit too white.

Dainish Oil on its own is a nightmare. Needs recoating every year, even twice a year sometimes so I don't recommend that. The Osmo is good for 4+ years. If you buy Osmo UV Protection Oil online some places have a 20% extra free. eg a 3L tin for the price of 2.5L.  I just got a tin from..

https://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.uk/osmo-uv-protection-extra

image.thumb.png.a70f91995246d5e53a6687dbad294a7e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1