SEPA have updated their flood risk maps.

ProDave

I had my completed house insured via the broker GSI often recommended on here.  At renewal due imminently they asked me to contact them.  the insurer I was with has withdrawn from the market, and trying to find a quote from an alternative has brought up that we are in a "high risk of surface water flooding" area.

Last time I checked this, it was only a little bit of the farmers field behind us shown at risk and sure enough that did occasionally flood, but more of a little but of a puddle in a dip due to poor draining land than a risk of actual serious flood.

Sure enough checking the SEPA flood risk map now shows almost the whole of our garden is at high risk of surface water flooding, which means each year it has a 10% chance of flooding. 

I have managed to find a new policy and actually at a cheaper price than the old one, but it looks like this might become more of an issue in the future.

If you live in Scotland and have previously been close to a flood risk, you might want to take a look at the updated map  https://map.sepa.org.uk/floodmaps/FloodRisk/PostCode

• Like 3

Tne way the brokers questionnaires  ask the questions can lead to a yes or no answer.

Dan saf, we have a pond 10m away. There is no risk of flooding because of slopes.

When they ask whether there is a watercourse or pond within 20m the answer is yes. Then the premium is huge or cover is not offered.

Others ask if there is risk of flooding. Obv that may be a matter of opinion, but there were plenty of decent offers of cover.

I used one of the money supermarket sort of online searches.

Friends had a house 50m from sea flood risk acc to the maps. They couldn't sell the house. In reality they were 10m higher than the flood level. They found an insurer who understood and gave them cover.