Wood is wood? Or?

puntloos

So I'm comparing a few local stores carrying woodpecker and tedd todd engineered wood, to an online-only store. Like-for-like (same general color, wood type, and grade) the online store is about 57% less expensive. The only small difference I think I am noticing is that the online store wood seems to have one small imperfection on the surface, it wasn't a splinter I think but maybe some small 'strip' of plasticy coating or glue on top. 

Is there any real reason other than 'supporting your local business' to pick ted toddetc over the online store? And if there actually are some imperfections in the wood as delivered, am I correct you can just gently sand it down or something- wouldn't be surprised if the builder would do this anyway regardless?

4 minutes ago, puntloos said:

So I'm comparing a few local stores carrying woodpecker and Ted Todd engineered wood, to an online-only store. Like-for-like (same general color, wood type, and grade) the online store is about 57% less expensive. The only small difference I think I am noticing is that the online store wood seems to have one small imperfection on the surface, it wasn't a splinter I think but maybe some small 'strip' of plasticy coating or glue on top. 

Is there any real reason other than 'supporting your local business' to pick Ted Todd etc over the online store? And if there actually are some imperfections in the wood as delivered, am I correct you can just gently sand it down or something- wouldn't be surprised if the builder would do this anyway regardless?

I think what you are actually paying for is the Ted Todd, hence the higher price, a bit like saying I can get a Miele washing machine for £1000 but I can get a washing machine from an online retailer for £400 and the online retailer is selling you a Beko or Candy or something.

We put Ted Todd throughout the ground floor of our house, love it, even some 5 years on I look at it and admire what a beautiful floor it is. We looked at a lot of flooring and ended up paying the extra for the TT. I think it was worth it, when it comes to wood flooring, I am going to say they are not made equal. 

As for imperfections, I would say no, you cannot just sand it, they are usually treated with hard waxoil or other oils or waxes or some are a lacquer so you would need to refinish - do not get an untreated floor, my brother got untreated beech and the result was a nightmare as the essentially sanded floor finish just gathered dirt and marks, I am not sure if he was meant to do something with it but he assured me it was ready to use as laid. 

Edited by Carrerahill