Does Class Q mean residential status is granted

ChrisF8

Hi 

I’m purchasing a plot of land with a barn on it. The barn has Class Q planning permission on it. Ideally I want to also convert the stables on site (attaching them to the barn). I understand I’ll need to go for full planning permission and I’ve put it in a pre-planning application to the council.

My question is, does the Class Q granted mean that the residential status of the land has changed or is it only changed after the proposed conversion is complete? I’m finding Class Q has so many restrictions and pitfalls that it might just be worth asking the council to knock it all

down and build from scratch.

Unfortunately the residential status does not come into play until the Conversion is complete.

You may not get knock down and rebuild (but worth going for one) but the LPA should consider a Change of Use under a standard planning app to allow you to move away from all the Class Q restrictions. 

6 hours ago, ChrisF8 said:

Hi 

I’m purchasing a plot of land with a barn on it. The barn has Class Q planning permission on it. Ideally I want to also convert the stables on site (attaching them to the barn). I understand I’ll need to go for full planning permission and I’ve put it in a pre-planning application to the council.

My question is, does the Class Q granted mean that the residential status of the land has changed or is it only changed after the proposed conversion is complete? I’m finding Class Q has so many restrictions and pitfalls that it might just be worth asking the council to knock it all

down and build from scratch.

Class Q does include the land (but there is a but)..

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/596/schedule/2/part/3/crossheading/class-q-agricultural-buildings-to-dwellinghouses/made

Permitted development

Q.  Development consisting of—

(a)a change of use of a building and any land within its curtilage from a use as an agricultural building to a use falling within Class C3 (dwellinghouses) of the Schedule to the Use Classes Order; 

Continues..

but most of the sections/classes that allow people to add extensions or construct outbuildings etc have these words..

Class E – buildings etc incidental to the enjoyment of a dwellinghouse

Permitted development

E.  The provision within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse of—

(a)any building or enclosure, swimming or other pool required for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse as such, or the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of such a building or enclosure; or

(b)a container used for domestic heating purposes for the storage of oil or liquid petroleum gas.

Development not permitted

E.1  Development is not permitted by Class E if—

(a)permission to use the dwellinghouse as a dwellinghouse has been granted only by virtue of Class M, N, P or Q of Part 3 of this Schedule (changes of use);

So in short getting Class Q removes a lot of what would normally be Permitted Development on a regular new build or conversion done under Full planning permission. You cant even add a patio, porch or oil storage tank without planning permission.

Planning permission isn't normally needed to convert an outbuilding to a gym or similar that is incidental to the main dwelling but I'm not sure which Class it comes under in the GPDO. Probably Class A  but that also has the same words as Class E above.

Its also worth noting there is completion time limit on Class Q. 

(3) Development under Class Q is permitted subject to the condition that development under Class Q(a), and under Class Q(b), if any, must be completed within a period of 3 years starting with the prior approval date.

2 hours ago, Temp said:

So in short getting Class Q removes a lot of what would normally be Permitted Development on a regular new build or conversion done under Full planning permission.

..and also if you do get full planning for knock down and rebuild it will often be granted with normal PD rights removed.

Thanks all for your input, I think we’re going to go for full planning application that includes the stables sooner rather than later. Then make some decisions based on the appetite of the LPA so we don’t run short on time for the class q if it’s rejected 👍

• Like 1

To aid the success of a full planning application it's also important have plenty of time left to complete the Class Q conversion. When considering a full application, the LPA must consider what the alternatives are, and a granted ClassQ is established as a valid "fallback" position as long as it has a realistic chance of being implemented. A ClassQ with 6 months rating from approval date is probably not deemed a realistic fallback position.