Hello from North Wales

redhouse53

Good luck. Funnily enough we were only having "my first house" conversations in the office this morning.

I remember mine well. Mortgage repossession, tired, flithy, fleas and walls bright orange from nicotine.

Until we took up the carpets and scrubbed the walls the smell would make you gag!

For the first few months we had:

2 x camp beds

2 x sleeping bags

2 x deckchairs

1 x portable TV (sat on a cardboard box with one of those hopeless indoor aerials)

Simpler times!! :)

• Like 1

My worst had a nail sick roof where the rafters had dropped from the ridge board creating a 200mm gap in the middle allowing the local feline population in. It also allowed the rain to get in, most of the carpets had mushrooms growing in them. It was an end terrace and when I had finished stripping it back if you stood in the front door there where no floor joists to the basement, first floor joists still intact and no gable wall and no roof timbers.

While we're at 'my worsts', we moved into a brand new flat on the banks of the River Lune in Lancaster, right by the Maritime Museum: and on moving in , with no notice at all, the builders took the roof off on a Friday afternoon. (Why? Dunno)

By Friday tea time a thunderstorm had filled our flat with several hundred gallons of water which promptly obeyed the laws of gravity and visited the flats below, made its way across the quayside and down into the river.

The builder denied responsibility until I made up an advertising banner using fairly direct language - and in plain view of the standing traffic jam on the opposite bank of the river. Several thousand people per day with nowt better to do than look at the pretty quayside with our flat three floors up, and; " Ohhh look, there's an annoyed Costains customer! Wonder what's rattled his kennel?" Well now ya know.

48 hours later, the roof was back on, a week later the floor was renewed, a month later I'd sold and moved out.

Welcome @redhouse53, let us know if someone takes your roof off just before a deluge. We've got all the skills to help here.

Ian