Boiler on timer rather than on thermostat

Hi All,

I have an old boiler that is blasting to achieve a desired temperature.
I know there are newer boilers that constantly pump water of lower temperature which is more economical.
Maybe what I am asking for is silly but is there any way to mimic this on an old system?
Rather than blasting for 30min every hour is there a way to set it to blast for like 10min but maybe more often?
I don't care that much about efficiency at this moment of time but the thermostat is no in one of the rooms but in front of the front doors and I reckon it blasts longer than it should.

If there is no option on the boiler itself what electronic Wifi thermostat/scheduler can support so granular schedules.

Please advise

It is possible, but will probably hasten the end of the boiler.

Never good to keep stopping and starting mechanical pumps and fan.

Sounds like your boiler is oversized for your heat load, fitting a buffer/volumizer may reduce the problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

It is possible, but will probably hasten the end of the boiler.

Never good to keep stopping and starting mechanical pumps and fan.

Sounds like your boiler is oversized for your heat load, fitting a buffer/volumizer may reduce the problem.

it's Baxi Solo 15 HE - 15kW, the property is about 84sqm.

9 minutes ago, JohnBishop said:

it's Baxi Solo 15 HE - 15kW, the property is about 84sqm.

Combi gas boilers are sized for DHW delivery. System boilers are designed for mean and maximum heat load.

What sort is your boiler? Or at least how is it plumbed up?

There are others on here that know a lot more about boilers and pipes.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Combi gas boilers are sized for DHW delivery. System boilers are designed for mean and maximum heat load.

What sort is your boiler? Or at least how is it plumbed up?

There are others on here that know a lot more about boilers and pipes.

it's a condensing boiler that on top of heating radiators heats up water stored in a tank on the 1st floor.

Edited by JohnBishop

17 minutes ago, JohnBishop said:

it's a condensing boiler that on top of heating radiators heats up water stored in a tank on the 1st floor.

So a system boiler.

These are usually, but not exclusively, set up to heat either the water, or the building.

It then gets complicated as there are a number of different 'plans' to divert the boiler water.  S Plan, Y Plan, W Plan, Plan B (though I think that involves morning regret and pipes that change rigidity)

You may have to do a drawing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2023 at 13:21, SteamyTea said:

So a system boiler.

These are usually, but not exclusively, set up to heat either the water, or the building.

It then gets complicated as there are a number of different 'plans' to divert the boiler water.  S Plan, Y Plan, W Plan, Plan B (though I think that involves morning regret and pipes that change rigidity)

I talked to the plumber and he said that I would need to have a thicker mains input pipe for such system to work. I think he said 30mm pipe so this would require undoing all the laminate flooring upstairs, lifting boards and installing a new pipe.

On 03/04/2023 at 13:21, SteamyTea said:

So a system boiler.

It's a Heat Only boiler ;) .

Best to leave it fire every 30 mins, as it's not exactly out of the expected use pattern for a boiler in a less-than-excellent ( thermally ) house.

You can get wireless room thermostats, and getting it away from the cold at the front door would be beneficial. 

• Like 1