EDF electricity meter blank

Does anyone have any thoughts about being charged for electricity when the meter is broken?

Last August I bought a house I'm planning to replace.

I took a photo of the blank meter on the first day. When EDF got in touch a month later, they sent me an estimated bill [both readings estimated]. I refused to pay the bill because the meter was broken, and eventually they cancelled the bill after seeing the photograph.

When the 2nd bill was cancelled they put in a complaint on my behalf and last February an electrician turned up to replace the meter. He refused to do so because the main fuse was dangerous. UK Power Networks turned up the next day, said the fuse was fine, but agreed to replace it, so EDF can fit a new meter. The next UK Power Networks appt is on April 12th. After which, EDF can replace the meter.

In the meantime the government have given me £600 [including a £200 allowance for oil use] which has been sitting as a credit on my EDF account.

This week EDF issued another estimated bill and took £500.45 of the credit. The meter is still blank and has not been replaced. 

So I got on to EDF and they cancelled the bill and gave me back the credit. Overnight, they issued me with a new bill, so I had it cancelled again... and this has happened everyday last week. They still have taken my credit.

I assume I can't be charged if the meter doesn't work, and when the new meter is eventually fitted, I will be charged from that date going forward. At which point I should have £600 plus future government payments as credit on my account.

Am I correct?

Does anyone have advice?

Thank you.

36 minutes ago, Gone West said:

If possible I would close the account and have the refund paid into my bank account.

I'll ask. I'm doubtful they'll pay the credits into my bank. 

Interesting as my mother's meter, with EDF, is blank.

It has not been changed, but they know it is faulty.

I am leaving it a bit longer so that from my complaint, and arrangement to change it, is over a year old.

Thames water do not know where the water meter is as well. Arranged to get that sorted but no one turns up.

House is empty now so bills are minimal.