Basic building regs question...

26 minutes ago, Beanyboy2802 said:

it's why I'm here

It's a dilemma that lot of new folk encounter on BH..

Do I post stuff that I'm not sure about.. folk worry they may seem daft. What I can tell you is that you are on the right road to getting a lot of help here on BH. Not just on the design stuff but where to buy your materials and so on.

I had a quick look at the plan drawings you posted. All good with dimensions. But as an SE / Designer I need to see the elevations you are thinking about.

There are a lot of folk here on BH that are great designers. Some are actually Architects, Civil Engineers, Heating Engineers, Electrical Enginners, self builders / extenders the list is long so forgive me if I have not listed. Also I learn new stuff on BH every time I log on so we are all on a learning curve.

M sugestion is this:

1/ Provide the elevation drawings.

2/  Put gridlines on your drawings so folk can say .. see that beam on gridline A1 suggest do this.. a lot of Architects don't do this.. but the good ones I work with do.. and just hide the layer in their drawings. It makes it easy on BH to identify what we are talking about. Also when I detail steel work it can relate to the grid.. time spent now will help later. Get the gridlnes into your head and that will make it easier when you are talking to the builder.

If you can do the elevations then that will help to complete the picture for me and probably for other BH folk. At the moment I can't comment as I don't know what you are trying to hold up.

22 hours ago, Beanyboy2802 said:

I like the thought of this - but how would I implement it? 

Obviously I need a structural wall at each end of the steel beam, to support the beam, and hence the floor. Can the beam just sit into the structural wall as it is, or do I need to build out that wall to meet the beam (like a buttress)?

You need a structural wall each end of the steel beam. Normally the beam sits on padstone in the wall under each end to spread the load sideways and prevent a "cheese wire effect" if the walls are lightweight blocks. Eg In most cases there is nothing visible in the room below the beam.

There wouldn't normally need to be a pier under the ends of the beam unless the loads above are particularly high. Even then changing to denser blocks might eliminate the need.

The only reason for a buttress like pier would be if one of the supporting walls needs it as per your original post. Then it might serve two purposes.