Removal of air bricks

Joshua Graham

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to increas ventilation in my underfloor by removing the airbricks as they got clogged with debris over time. I'd basically have a hole with some mesh and a small cowl to protect it from rain splashing in. More air would get in, but would it damage the structure to remove an airbrick without replacing? 

2 hours ago, Joshua Graham said:

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to increase ventilation in my underfloor by removing the airbricks as they got clogged with debris over time. I'd basically have a hole with some mesh and a small cowl to protect it from rain splashing in. More air would get in, but would it damage the structure to remove an airbrick without replacing? 

Clogged with what? 

Has the ground level been raised around them and leaves and stuff is blowing into them? If so, that issue may need fixing first. 

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 2

Basically, i actually lowered the ground. at the brick (its about 300mm above ground), but behind the brick is a joist which blocks airflow a bit, cutting holes in the joist is not an option. Periscopic vents are possible but would be a massive hassle and mean removing a small amount of brick work. so my idea was to remove the brick (cover the hole with fine mesh) to allow more air in. Just want better movement of air.