Cost per m2

When asked how much we had spent on our previous build I could answer within a few hundred quid on any given day 

Tonight we’ve gone through the spreadsheets and any outstanding invoices We’ve don’t 155k A good chunk going on the workshop so I’ve counted this in Attic trusses etc 

we are pretty much watertight now that my wife and myself have finished building and slating the roofs 

Four months around our day jobs 

We originally set out to come in a couple of hundred more per m2 than last time at around a 1000m2 Now that the unknowns are out of the way and prices stabilizing or going doing as some things have and are We should be around what we though 

So self building still seems worth the effort Just about 😁

• Like 2

That’s good going! I think mine will be twice that but haven’t looked at the bottom line since the main contractor pulled out. Just pushing to finish then add it all up. Not at any cost, we are spending wisely, just can’t predict the final cost. On the other hand, we have no idea what it will be worth in the current market so can’t say if it’s worth it financially or not. Hopefully we will enjoy living in it and look at back the build as a life experience 😬

7 hours ago, nod said:

When asked how much we had spent on our previous build I could answer within a few hundred quid on any given day 

Tonight we’ve gone through the spreadsheets and any outstanding invoices We’ve don’t 155k A good chunk going on the workshop so I’ve counted this in Attic trusses etc 

we are pretty much watertight now that my wife and myself have finished building and slating the roofs 

We originally set out to come in a couple of hundred more per m2 than last time at around a 1000m2 Now that the unknowns are out of the way and prices stabilizing or going doing as some things have and are We should be around what we though 

So self building still seems worth the effort Just about 😁

What size are you building this time? House and workshop. 

11 hours ago, nod said:

Thats the killer. The day job.

OK , you are 'in the business' Gary. But we all know of local trades folk whose partners moan about the leaking roof - ' call yersel' a roofer and you won't mend your own ' : '  I've been after a new front door for year an' ee won't fit me one ' (local chippie's wife walking her dog past our place the other day ).

Worse: I bet many of us have heard of marriages that have broken up due to self-builds. And you two .... grafters.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/03/2023 at 23:35, nod said:

much watertight now that my wife and myself have finished building and slating the roofs 

That is epic. How are you finding this on the stress side of things. We are currently completing relatively minor snagging and I’m still expletively stressed..Agreed that being 800 plus more a square metre can contribute to stress levels but it is relative. 

Interested to see what your final cost per sq metre is..

1 hour ago, Seren161 said:

That is epic. How are you finding this on the stress side of things. We are currently completing relatively minor snagging and I’m still expletively stressed..Agreed that being 800 plus more a square metre can contribute to stress levels but it is relative. 

Interested to see what your final cost per sq metre is..

Thanks for that 

I’m now 61 I’ve run my own business for 40 years now and work full time 

So I’m used to being busy I don’t tend to get stressed out about much 

I don’t see any reason why we can’t come in under a £1000 m2 

The fees need to be kept under control 

Paying large sums to an architect’ in my opinion is a waste of money 

We spent about 3k on Architects fees £500 on SE on our first build 

We have spent 5 k and £1000 on SE this time Which should be plenty for a single house 

I’ve to fit the windows next and do the roughcast render 

Then the scaffold can come down

• Like 3