Flue blocks in thermalite inner wall

j_s

The builder is half way through stripping off the soffits, fascias, 1st row of tiles etc to fix this poorly constructed 10 year old house. Wonky soffits and fascias, no insulation at the top of the cavity or missing further down, other stuff that just quite frankly left me speechless. The builder is spot on with his attention to detail.

He's unearthed flue bricks that are staggered going all the way down the inner thermalite blockwork for a non existent fire place and we were wondering what to fill it with as it's a nice cold bridge. He suggested vermiculite in the flue bricks and then a pir backed plasterboard on that wall top to bottom.

Also discovered no insulation in the cavity the whole way down around  the flue blocks which is also narrowed due to the flue blocks being deeper than the thermal blocks

Will attach pics of this joke / megabodge shortly. 

He's hesitant to take them all out and replace due to cost (my cost) and making sure it's structurally ok which leads back to cost

Any other ideas?

Thanks

James

I assume you mean the gas flue blocks ..?? Filling them is no issue - they are pretty thermally efficient so shouldn't touch the outer wall anyway. 

Lack of CWI - anything built in the last 10 years should have a warranty to fix that 

Hi Peter, yes sorry gas flue blocks. 

The amount of missing mortar around them is just rediculous , will be ripping all the internal plasterboard off on the 2 rooms affected to see how bad it is.

Cwi wise, who should I approach as it's only in the section in front of the gas flue block, not the entire cavity.

My thought was to speak to an eps bead place to pump the small amount needed , just not sure on a mix of fibre glass batts and beads 

Edited by j_s
Misspelt