To what extent are ikea wardrobe hinges adjustable?

Adsibob

I have an alcove that I want to close off with some wardrobe doors. I want to hang the doors from posts. Looking at my existing ikea wardrobes, I like that the hinges function in such a way that the carcass is completely covered once the door is closed. These ikea carcasses are  made from 18mm thick boards, so i thought that if I erected 36mm wide posts they would be plenty strong enough and also neatly accommodate ikea hinges either side and be fully concealed by the closed door. But standard size posts tend to be 38mm wide. Is there sufficient adjustability in an ikea hinge that the 2mm difference won't make a difference?

I recommend going to IKEA to check. 

I like these soft close BLUM hinges,which generally can accommodate +/-2mm sideways. However you want some of that to allow the gap between two doors to be adjusted not all used up adjusting the gap at the sides.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078MP2LZ9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The timber might be specified to be 38mm wide but its worth actually measuring it. 

Consult the Blum catalogue and then choose the most ideal hinges for the look - e.g. overlay (the typical Ikea type), inset or dual overlay. The catalogue will also give you mounting options for achieving the overlay you're looking for - e.g where to drill the mounting plates from the edge of the door/carcass. Remember that if you have two doors opening back to back the Blum hinges typically have opening angles of 110 degrees so they'll fowl each other. Sometimes when working with this together with thicker carcasses/cupboard frames it can be better to use an overlay hinge - e.g. using a face frame cabinet design. Blum catalogue will also tell you how many hinges you need for your doors.

Go to page 69: https://publications.blum.com/2022/catalogue/en/

TLDR; most of the standard hinges have 2-3mm adjustment but as @markc says, setup is important, especially the mounting plate spacing as this is what determines the overlay.