Timber frame wall ties to Existing Blockwork

daunker

I am doing a conversion and have existing 225mm or 140mm blockwork (depending on which side as some were laid flat). I want to put up timber-frame internally, but am just unsure how to tie it to the concrete frame. As the cavity will only be say 25mm, and the panels will be osb and membrane. 

I've been looking at ties all morning, and just can't see how I can solve this. I think mostly the masonry outer skin goes on afterwards and as such the ties are left out for the mortar joints. Alternatively I have seen some you drill from the outside but this seems more tricky particularly with the 225mm blockwork rather than just a simple single brick clad.

Would welcome any thoughts, just not sure how to fix to the frame once the membrane and osb is on. I know there are quite a few barn conversions that have done similar, so there must be a way but having looked at threads on here I haven't yet found one! Thanks!!

I wonder what the ties are for?  I think they are normally there to restrain the brickwork.  In your case you already have a structurally sound shell and I assume your timber frame is mainly there for plasterboard, insulation and maybe upper floor support, so you may not need ties in the same way.  One for a SE I think.

• Thanks 1

That's a very good point actually. I was thinking that the whole structure needed to be tied together. Single storey, as you surmised timber frame is only there for the reasons you say. Will ask the SE, originally was going to be cavity wall hence retro-ties which I could build into the inner block. I was assuming something similar be needed for TF.

No need for conventional wall ties.

It might make sense for the timber and masonry to be tied together, for example using battens frame fixed to the masonry to level the wall for when the panels get installed.