Shower tray on legs

Looking into some advice how to properly install shower tray that needs to be raised on the legs due to the joist position. I read loads through in here and the idea is this:

Ply wood over floorboards

Level the tray up and then stick to the walls with Sikaflex

Instructions say to silicone legs to the floor, so was thinking Sikaflex too?

Then put the shower screen with a C channel bracket using clear CT1 ( do I sit the whole channel on it and wipe excess as the instructions saying to only silicone on the outside ) and clear CT1 all around the tray.

Then final decorative white bead of BT1?

Any different suggestions?

Or find a tray where the trap doesn't clash with the joists so it doesn't need to be raised? 

Possibly even drop the ceiling below to allow pipes under the joists if this was on a new build.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Temp said:

Or find a tray where the trap doesn't clash with the joists so it doesn't need to be raised? 

Possibly even drop the ceiling below to allow pipes under the joists if this was on a new build.

Joists go the wrong way round and I've already got the tray I love anyways, ceiling can't be dropped as it's already quite low and nearly touching the kitchen units under the bathroom, so neither is an option and the tray needs to be raised.

On 06/03/2023 at 06:09, Nickfromwales said:

Here are some good threads,

Have a read through those and see what questions remain. ;).  

@NickfromwalesI did read these before I posted my questions but I didn't find any installation of trays on legs and just wanted to make sure on products to be used now as they were older posts so there may be a better products? 

1 hour ago, Lucie said:

@NickfromwalesI did read these before I posted my questions but I didn't find any installation of trays on legs and just wanted to make sure on products to be used now as they were older posts so there may be a better products? 

CT1 is still the bomb, and Sikaflex will be around long after me I expect :) 

For a tray on legs, you have to go to town on it. Bonding the legs down is the norm, but I also install a rip of plywood along the X & Y edges which I glue and screw in place.

You dry fit the tray and level it, and then draw a line under the tray with a sharpie, and have the plywood ( 18mm ) sitting on the floor and just stopping shy of the line.

Set the tray into wet CT1 ( detail as per the other threads ) with a generous amount on the upper edge of the ply, plus on the wall, and also run a bead along the X & Y edges of the tray ( on the rear not top ). Push and wiggle everything into its final place, and job done.

The belt and braces approach is to follow the previous recommendations and make a base and lose the legs altogether. Just needs some good woodworking skills to create a space for the trap, support in the right places, and an escape route for the pipe run.

Have baby wipes to hand to clean up, and use loads of them to keep the mess at bay.

• Thanks 1

@Nickfromwales thank you very much, we used Sikaflex around shower tray ( that is super strong stuff ) and CT1 for legs to floor, baby wipes didn't worked as just smeared everything around and made it dirty but grime wipes did the job ( it may be because of the non slip surface on the tray ) 

7 hours ago, Lucie said:

@Nickfromwales thank you very much, we used Sikaflex around shower tray ( that is super strong stuff ) and CT1 for legs to floor, baby wipes didn't worked as just smeared everything around and made it dirty but grime wipes did the job ( it may be because of the non slip surface on the tray ) 

Sikaflex doesn’t clean off very well with baby wipes, but CT1 does. You just have to use them once or twice and discard, don’t try and get any ‘mileage’ out of them. 

• Thanks 1